Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

cerebus

Honorary Master
Looking forward to "The Father"...actually quite surprised it is not available yet on the seas and news.

"Minari" and "Nomadland" was absolutely brilliant IMHO.

I must still watch Mank, Promising Young Woman and Judas though...

Chicago 7 was pretty meh...

I didn't enjoy Mank very much. But I think overall it's not a terrible list. I guess Nomadland is likely to win, deservedly, and like you I thoroughly enjoyed Minari.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Rarely has a list represented such a poor selection of movies, imho.

Really...?

One of the constants with the Oscars seems to be that people will complain about the nominees, hehe.

What would you have rather seen there?

Amazing how every year when they release these lists you open them and you are like WTF I've never heard of most of these movies. :cautious:
That seems odd. I've only seen 1 so far, but I've definitely heard of all of them and plan to watch most, if not all.

Master Su

Last I saw the Oscars was back when Dicaprio won his first they have been snubbing him for over a decade. Cant take the Oscars seriously when a movie like Uncut Gems (2019) did not even get a nomination no one can convince me otherwise how Adam Sandler did not win 1 award or receive a nomination. Enough with the rant back to the reviews :):popcorn:

Master Su

Uncut Gems : is about New York jeweler (Adam Sandler) who is a gambling addict, who must retrieve an expensive gem he purchased to pay off his debts. 9/10 forgot i was watching Adam Sandler.

as.gif

cerebus

Honorary Master
Last I saw the Oscars was back when Dicaprio won his first they have been snubbing him for over a decade. Cant take the Oscars seriously when a movie like Uncut Gems (2019) did not even get a nomination no one can convince me otherwise how Adam Sandler did not win 1 award or receive a nomination. Enough with the rant back to the reviews :):popcorn:

The last time I really didn't like a best movie winner was in 2015. Last year Parasite was easily my top choice and I felt it was brave of the academy to give it the win. I can't be too critical of the academy all things considered.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Well, making a good movie is only like step 1. There's a lot of lobbying involved and it is a
The last time I really didn't like a best movie winner was in 2015. Last year Parasite was easily my top choice and I felt it was brave of the academy to give it the win. I can't be too critical of the academy all things considered.
Green Book 2018 was tripe...and not the good kind.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Well, making a good movie is only like step 1. There's a lot of lobbying involved and it is a

Green Book 2018 was tripe...and not the good kind.

I liked it well enough but I don't think it deserved to win. It wasn't a very strong year. I think Roma should have won 2019.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I liked it well enough but I don't think it deserved to win. It wasn't a very strong year. I think Roma should have won 2019.

It's so cliched and basic...like someone got a group of film school students together, made them watch some "odd couple with a twist of racism" movies and come up with a script. It's just lame and obvious award bait.

Those are the ones that annoy me - like they're designed by committee to do well at awards season. There are usually a couple around each year.

cerebus

Honorary Master
It's so cliched and basic...like someone got a group of film school students together, made them watch some "odd couple with a twist of racism" movies and come up with a script. It's just lame and obvious award bait.

Those are the ones that annoy me - like they're designed by committee to do well at awards season. There are usually a couple around each year.

Well I felt that Mahershali Ali's performance elevated the movie beyond its clichéd source material, and it was directed competently with solid pacing and camera work.

daveza

Honorary Master
Promising Young Woman - 7

Her entries in the notebook ?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Minari - 9/10. A little masterpiece this. Granny was superb and needs to get that award.

Not surprising this years Oscars seem week thanks largely to Covid, but Sandler not getting nominated was criminal. They should weigh the overall value of nominating a deceased actor to a live actor who also produced a good performance.

Haven't seen Mank but Fincher should get something for his amazing body of work.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Minari - 9/10. A little masterpiece this. Granny was superb and needs to get that award.

Not surprising this years Oscars seem week thanks largely to Covid, but Sandler not getting nominated was criminal. They should weigh the overall value of nominating a deceased actor to a live actor who also produced a good performance.

Haven't seen Mank but Fincher should get something for his amazing body of work.

Yeah Minari is such a gem. I haven't seen Uncut Gems, I tried but after a few minutes I found it too loud for my mood and switched off.