Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

eg2505

Honorary Master
outside the wire (2021) 7.5 /10
weird actors, weirder script, E/Europe filming locations,
sounds like the start of a B movie? nope, was quite a sleeper movie, came out of nowhere and actually impressed.

Cius

Executive Member
I actually watched this :X3:
We Can Be Heroes (2020) 4.5 / 10
Even Pedro Pascal and Robert Rodriguez could not save this one.
My kids (aged 9 and 11) have a new system where they can do chores to earn watching a family movie they get to pick, so I am getting to watch a lot more of this stuff too. Perhaps its worth the review of the last few:

We can be heroes
Adult rating - 4/10
Kids rating - 7/10
Some movies are aimed at a wide audience, like Pixar stuff. Movies like this don't try. Its kids only stuff.

Go Karts (2020)
I was somewhat terrified of this one. I have never really enjoyed any media made in Australia by Australians so when I figured out in the first 3 seconds of the movie that this was definitely an Ausie production my hopes sank to my shoes and I figured at least I can play on my laptop while this ordeal passes. However I was somewhat surprised at how watchable this one was. Predictable as all heck, more cliche's than I could count, but actually not that horribly strung together. Not a complete waste of time but I did play a bit of Civ IV in the background during the more boring parts.
Adult rating: 6/10
Kids rating: 7.5/10

The Karate Kid (with Jackie Chan):
It has no Karate. That bugged me. Otherwise not too bad. Will Smith's kid kinda irritates me I will admit.
Kids rating: 7/10
Adult rating: 5/10

Have also been watching the star wars prequels with them and some of the new releases. Unlike me they actually like JarJar Binks. So Where I would rate the phantom menace as 5/10 due to Jar Jar they seem to think its worth 8/10. Kinda interesting to see the audience it was perhaps intended for watching it. At least that is what I hope it was meant to be. If Lucas liked Jar Jar I have serious concerns. Solo and The Force Awakens they liked about as much as I did and their affection for BB8 far exceeds my own so there I would for the kids give a 9/10 and for adults 7.5/10.

Stuff just me and the wife watched:
Leap Year (2010) - 6.5/10
Wife's turn to pick so she defaulted to her favourite romcom genre. Was OK if once again predictable. Almost felt like the script was too weak for the two main actors though. Amy Adams I have always liked and Matthew Goode I did not notice much before this but he stood out. Definitely want to watch out for him in other stuff. After checking IMDB realized he has been in a bunch of stuff I watched but such side roles he never really got a chance to shine. Could see him getting other bigger roles though. Scenery is incredible which also helped the movie.

Sense and sensibility (1995) - 7/10
Wow, this had a pretty big cast. Avoided it till now. While I generally don't like romantic period pieces I do think the BBC mini series version of Pride and Prejudice was incredible and always heard this was the uglier step sister to that so never bothered to watch it. Wife persuaded me to though and it was not bad. One can definitely see that Austin had a style of writing where she repeats the same or at least a very similar story over and over again while slightly changing the circumstances and names.

Spoiler: the guy with the name starting with a W who seems too smooth is actually bad.

Anyways, not bad. Story was predictable if you know Pride and Prejudice but that does not detract all that much and some of the side characters where great. Hugh Laurie in particular was hilarious and as always Alan Rickman is just incredible. Still sad that he is gone and I won't see anything more made by him.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Fanny and Alexander (1982) - 10/10. Epic tableau of 19th century (Swedish) bourgeois society with a savage, surreal underbelly. Absolutely masterful

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I saw The Long Goodbye (1973) with Elliot Gould a while ago - it's an excellent adaptation, though some purists hate it. Altman, who directed MASH (1970) also starring Gould, creates a Philip Marlowe that is more of a bemused outsider than a heroic knight-errant.
Watched this last night...it's a surprising film. The (very basic) mystery is an afterthought - Altman is more interested in showing us his impression of what's behind the curtain of the LA noir setting made popular by novels and movies.

Elliot Gould's Marlowe is a terrible pet owner :p . Besides that, he's pretty fun to watch.

8/10

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Run Hide Fight 0/10 - Exploitative and repulsive handling of a sensitive subject matter. Done after 30min

cerebus

Honorary Master
Run Hide Fight 0/10 - Exploitative and repulsive handling of a sensitive subject matter. Done after 30min

Wow this possibly has the worst critic/user review score ratio of any movie

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Only Republicans will give this a 10.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Distributed by Daily Wire

lol, no wonder.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
News of the World (2020) 7/10

Good if a slow-paced Western. Strong on acting & storytelling. Tom Hanks (as always) shines through.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Horizon Line -6/10
besides the fueling a light aircraft with Rum, and doing it while the aircraft is flying, while hanging on to the wing for dear life in the slipstream.
just like the old barnstormers used to do, back when aviation was new
and fixing a fuel leak in flight while clinging to the outside of the aircraft.

besides those quite extreme possibilities, not a bad movie overall.
enjoyed it.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Run Hide Fight (2020) 6/10

Die Hard set in a High School. Pretty tasteless at times.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Run Hide Fight (2020) 6/10

Die Hard set in a High School. Pretty tasteless at times.
5 / 10

I'd have been through the window and out there. They're on their own :)
The bad guys ramblings made no sense to me.

Last edited: