Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Marksman (2021) 5.5/10

Liam Neeson's new action thriller. Formulaic & derivative. Way to slow burner than it needs to be.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Romeo Must Die (2000) 7/10. Re-watched because DMX. Like almost everyone else, I was in love with Aaliyah and watching her having fun with Jet Li is bittersweet. Nostalgia raised it from a 6 to a 7.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Dudes on here keep watching the lowest form of dreck then complain that it's bad.
I watch movies for escapism. So sometimes a dud can be entertaining.
Don't need to watch movies about old men getting old as I see that daily :ROFL:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Romeo Must Die (2000) 7/10. Re-watched because DMX. Like almost everyone else, I was in love with Aaliyah and watching her having fun with Jet Li is bittersweet. Nostalgia raised it from a 6 to a 7.

Main issue with that movie is Jet Li and Aaliyah had -100 chemistry so they just came off as friends. But it's still fun to watch - quite sad that Jet Li has been out of movies for so long, he had such a graceful presence that was a nice contrast to the ballistic slapstick-style Kung Fu of Jackie Chan. And Aaliyah of course is just heartbreakingly sad - same with DMX now too I guess.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Main issue with that movie is Jet Li and Aaliyah had -100 chemistry so they just came off as friends. But it's still fun to watch - quite sad that Jet Li has been out of movies for so long, he had such a graceful presence that was a nice contrast to the ballistic slapstick-style Kung Fu of Jackie Chan. And Aaliyah of course is just heartbreakingly sad - same with DMX now too I guess.
I read somewhere they filmed a scene with the two of them kissing, but it didn't feel right so they decided to go without it.

wbot

Expert Member
Soul - was ok but pretty boring. Better than Onward but nowhere near Pixar's best. 6/10

FiestaST

Honorary Master
She was pretty good in St. Vincent (2014). This was a more serious role.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Slumdog Millionaire (2008) 7.5/10

Rewatched, as it's been many years. Just as compelling as the 1st time watch those years ago. Such a good story with excellent story telling. Fantastic abilities from Dev Patel.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Raising Arizona - 5/10

Wasn't really for me. Too slapstick.