Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Psycho Goreman (2020) 5.5 / 10

If you loved those cheesy 80's monster movies then this might be of interest. The trailer and everything shouts terrible, but there were a few really funny moments :)

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Hillbilly Elegy (2020) 8.5/10

A real movie about real people ...depicting the ignored struggles of a suddenly very unpopular, uncool, unPC demographic of Middle America.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Fatale (2020) 5 / 10

If you like your movies MTV style then this is for you.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The Way Back - 6/10
Basically Ben Affleck being Coach Carter with alcoholism. Decent watch.

Watchmen Ultimate Cut - 7/10
Still a goodie. We need more of this, though less penis in the next one.

The Outpost - 7/10
One of the better modern war movies I've seen in a while. Quite a bold character arc for Orlando Bloom, quite surprised me. The action was fairly visceral though. Makes you wonder if anyone who plans these bases has ever studied warfare though.

Ava - 6/10
Jessica Chastain being badass. She does a decent job of it actually. Fairly cliche and predictable though. Sets up a sequel which we don't need.

Born on the Fourth of July - 8/10
Really dramatic and fairly intense. Tom Cruise does a sterling job in this. I wish he would make another dramatic movie, he does have the chops for it when he wants to.

Greyhound - 7/10
World War II was nuts. Tom Hanks being every Ton Hanksy and captaining a military convoy for trade ships. Very well made, very well acted.

The Last Full Measure - 8/10
The first time I've seen Sebastian Stan in a non-Marvel film. He did a great job, as did the rest of the cast.

Midway - 7/5/10
Great film, well shot, well acted and one of the few that gave both the American and Japanese soldiers a fair shake.

The Kill Team - 6/10
Decent but they could have done a lot more with this. Crazy, but nor surprising that it's based on a true story.

Ecco

Executive Member
Greenland - 7/10 - nice to not have to think too much and just enjoy watching the end of the world. Didnt expect to enjoy it, but did.

Honest Thief - 6.5/10 - super slow start but ended off well. Typical Liam Neeson movie.

Witches - 7/10 - found it really quite funny, narration by Chris Rock, but a bit of a lacklustre ending

The White Tiger - 7.5/10 - i really enjoyed this insight into rural india and life of a servant in that country. Quite in your face and direct. Only downside for me, is the second part of the movie was kind of rushed and did not have the same richness of development as the first part

|tera|

Master of Messengers
One of the coolest films I've seen.
Yes, the Adam Sandler voice still irks me, but the film is cool and funny all around.
Not a family friendly film, adults only.

8/10

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The White Tiger (2021) 7/10

A well told drama with a vibrant setting. The protagonist was extremely convincing.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
News of the world (2020)
7/10
Really good acting and great story.
Tom Hanks is great as usual. The little girl is awesome.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
The Silencing (2020) 5/10 - Good start and then just becomes more nonsensical with each passing minute.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
The Way Back - 6/10
Basically Ben Affleck being Coach Carter with alcoholism. Decent watch.

Watchmen Ultimate Cut - 7/10
Still a goodie. We need more of this, though less penis in the next one.

The Outpost - 7/10
One of the better modern war movies I've seen in a while. Quite a bold character arc for Orlando Bloom, quite surprised me. The action was fairly visceral though. Makes you wonder if anyone who plans these bases has ever studied warfare though.

Ava - 6/10
Jessica Chastain being badass. She does a decent job of it actually. Fairly cliche and predictable though. Sets up a sequel which we don't need.

Born on the Fourth of July - 8/10
Really dramatic and fairly intense. Tom Cruise does a sterling job in this. I wish he would make another dramatic movie, he does have the chops for it when he wants to.

Greyhound - 7/10
World War II was nuts. Tom Hanks being every Ton Hanksy and captaining a military convoy for trade ships. Very well made, very well acted.

The Last Full Measure - 8/10
The first time I've seen Sebastian Stan in a non-Marvel film. He did a great job, as did the rest of the cast.

Midway - 7/5/10
Great film, well shot, well acted and one of the few that gave both the American and Japanese soldiers a fair shake.

The Kill Team - 6/10
Decent but they could have done a lot more with this. Crazy, but nor surprising that it's based on a true story.
the Way Back was a good movie!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Palmer (2021) 6/10

So so drama, most of it is overdone. Timberlake was pretty good. Joe (2013) did it better.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Little Things (2021) 7/10

Powerful crime thriller with an excellent cast. Has an old school gritty charm. There are some similarities with Seven (1995) but this release has enough to stand on it's own ground.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Penguin Bloom (2020) 6.5/10

Warm inspiring story. Weird seeing Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) in a new film after ages.