Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

The Zone of Interest 8/10. YMMV but I find it really hard to stomach this kind of content. The horrors of the holocaust are a backdrop to a family's attempt to build an idyllic life while the husband is a commandant of the Auschwitz camp. Technically excellent filmmaking with a gut-punch end.
Sounds similar to "The boy in the striped pajamas."

That movie broke my heart.

Grabbing "The Zone" now.

The Zone of Interest 8/10. YMMV but I find it really hard to stomach this kind of content. The horrors of the holocaust are a backdrop to a family's attempt to build an idyllic life while the husband is a commandant of the Auschwitz camp. Technically excellent filmmaking with a gut-punch end.
I haven't seen it yet, but read an interesting line in a mini-review. "It was excellent and I never want to watch it again."

Mean Girls (2024) 5.5/10

You know exactly what you're walking into still it is an unnecessary pointless exercise. Adds nothing new to the formula & all the characters are flat & bland. The only saving grace here is some OG cameos. The OG '04 film is infinitely better.

Snip.png

Night Moves (2013) - 7.5/10. Pacing issues aside, an excellent exploration of guilt and paranoia.

Red Right Hand (2024) 5.5/10

Standard fare action thriller. Action scenes were pretty rough. Does drag on longer than it needed to.

Millers Girl (2024) 7 / 10

Jenna Ortega is impressive, holding her own against a long time pro like Martin Freeman. I'm guessing the lowish IMDb rating is because the subject matter is a bit controversial for most people.

I might need to watch it again... um in case I missed anything. That's my excuse. Cough.

The Zone of Interest - 8/10. A very well made picture, subdued and beautifully shot. Glazer's filmmaking subtleties help emphasise the horrors of Auschwitz in a very smart way.
For example, the frequent droning and background noise represent the historical/factual use of a revving motorcycle to mask the awful sounds you would hear living right next to an extermination camp.

A great reflection on the banality of evil.

The Forgotten Battle - 7/10
Dutch/Belgian mad war movie about a mostly forgotten battle to open up the water passage to the port of Antwerp that happened around the same time as Market Garden. Good look at what local resistance faced when they tried to assist the allies. Also the first movie I have seen Tom Felton in since Harry Potter. Nice to see him in a different role.

In the Electric Mist (2017) - 7/10
Tommy Lee Jones always delivers, and there's something so attractive about Mary Steenburgen.

Killers of the Flower Moon 8/10. Martin Scorsese coaxes brilliant, subtle performances out of all the actors in this slow drawn mystery. I hope Lily Gladstone gets recognised by the Oscars because she’s a revelation. I feel a bit ambivalent about the ending though

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) 6.5/10

Fun comedy horror. Enough laughs & intrigue to keep it going. Dark humour in top form.

Snip.png

Edit:

I'm going to upgrade this to 9/10, including the duck.

It deserves a 'close to perfect' rating.

Poor Things - 8/10

7.5 + .5 for the duck.

Emma Stone is astonishingly good.

Last edited:
Poor Things (2023) 7.5/10

Holy smokes this was a weird/bizarre/OTT watch! You cannot look away, it is so weirdly well told, the dialogue is out of this world & keeps you guessing. Visually very impressive. Emma Stone showcasing amazing range, 2nd place must go to Mark Ruffalo, he was so good & out of character. Tons of comical sex scenes & just all round charm. A must watch!

Snip.png

Back