Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Readsalot

Expert Member
The Big Short (2015) 9/10. Still a brilliant film, and especially after the GameStop move this week I wanted to watch it again. Incredible to realise that Michael Burry (played by Christian Bale) is also involved in this year's New York Stock Exchange upset.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Agree with the rating, not confused though.

Movie dragged on quite a bit, plot twist explains a lot but leaves quite a bit of this movie stranded, which left one feeling wanting.
This movie reminded me of No Country for Old Men. Has to viewed with deeper insight to be appreciated.
Watch the scene at 23m.

Cius

Executive Member
Sabrina (1995) - 7/10
Classic romcom, enjoyed watching this one after a 25 year break

Table 19 - 6/10
Was OK for a few laughs. Predictable in many ways but one big through it all which is rare for me in a romcom these days.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Sabrina (1995) - 7/10
Classic romcom, enjoyed watching this one after a 25 year break

Table 19 - 6/10
Was OK for a few laughs. Predictable in many ways but one big through it all which is rare for me in a romcom these days.
Make a note to watch the OG.

Charisma & charm in spades. Bogart, Hepburn & Holden, Enough said.

Ecco

Executive Member
Soul - 10/10

Absolutely loved everything about this movie. Nothing to complain about.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nebraska (2013) 7/10

Great road trip film. A bittersweet resonating watch. The old folks (Bruce Dern & June Squibb) are on the ball.

daveza

Honorary Master
The Dig - 8/10

I avoid tear-jerkers but by the time I realised it was one, I was hooked.

Acting, cinematography, script - hard to find fault with this one.

cerebus

Honorary Master
The Dig - 8/10

I avoid tear-jerkers but by the time I realised it was one, I was hooked.

Acting, cinematography, script - hard to find fault with this one.

Feels like i should watch this one

cerebus

Honorary Master
I look forward to your opinion.

I see Rocks is getting huge reviews as well:

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Leave Her To Heaven (1945) 8/10
Gene Tierney carries a melodramatic tragedy. Very pretty to look at (one of the early Technicolor film noirs) though I kind of prefer black and white for this era and genre of movie.

Scarlet Street (1945) 5.5/10
The interwebs says it's amazing but it didn't hold my attention much. Some witty exchanges here and there but overall, a bit average.

I guess you have to take the reviews of older, lesser-known movies with a grain of salt - the people who seek them out and review them probably have a predilection for old-timey films in the first place which can become inherent bias (in theory, anyway).

Me included :p

cerebus

Honorary Master
Gene Tierney carries a melodramatic tragedy. Very pretty to look at (one of the early Technicolor film noirs) though I kind of prefer black and white for this era and genre of movie.

The interwebs says it's amazing but it didn't hold my attention much. Some witty exchanges here and there but overall, a bit average.

I guess you have to take the reviews of older, lesser-known movies with a grain of salt - the people who seek them out and review them probably have a predilection for old-timey films in the first place which can become inherent bias (in theory, anyway).

Have you watched any of the older Akira Kurosawa films?

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Have you watched any of the older Akira Kurosawa films?

A few of the more well-known ones awhile back...Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon etc. I watched one where the main character had a terminal illness and decided to build a playground or something in a ghetto - that was a rough watch. Think I shelved it at that point :)

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Black Butterfly (2017) - 6/10. Didn't see that one coming but ultimately absurd.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

There's an oldie I'd like to watch called Laura.

Thoughts if you've seen it?

These oldies are only good if it has a smashing story otherwise everything else is outdated even the acting.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
There's an oldie I'd like to watch called Laura.

Thoughts if you've seen it?

These oldies are only good if it has a smashing story otherwise everything else is outdated even the acting.
I downloaded it at the same time as Leave Her to Heaven (it's also a Gene Tierney film). Haven't gotten around to it yet though - it took me a year and a half to watch the first one :whistling: