Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The Big Heat (1953) 8/10
This was entertaining and did some interesting things - Glenn Ford plays a straight-laced, stoic detective in a city seemingly full of people with flexible morals (so far, so normal for the crime / film noir genre). Isolated by his moral code on his latest case, he begins to lash out with predictable consequences. Jocelyn Brando (sister of Marlon) and Gloria Grahame as the ditzy gangster's moll are really good.

Space Sweepers (2021) 6.5/10
Really fun South Korean space opera on Netflix. Has the feel of a manga (the humor, pacing, action interspersed with attempts at drama) and the special effects are better than anything I've seen in a Netflix original to date. Some neat touches but does drag on 30-45 minutes too long for the generic plot to sustain it.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Malcolm & Marie (2021) 6.5/10

The complexities of relationships, film is just one long argument. Washington was pretty good.

Reactions: Azg

daveza

Honorary Master

Who would have thought I would watch two tear-jerkers in one week ...

This was delightful.

With a cast including Tim Spall, Joanna Lumley, Imelda Staunton and Celia Imrie, you kinda know what you're going to get.

1612700816549.png

MightyQuin

Not amused...
The Dig (2020) - 7/10. Slow-paced but Carey Mulligan is always great
The Dig was not only hystoric and quite accurate, but it was beautifully filmed.

So much poignancy and typical pre-war misplaced romantic notions, especially from the young generation, as a backdrop and growing sense of menace.

A real story with real people...refreshing for a change.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Watched this weekend:

An absolute triumph....

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Calibre (2017) - 7/10. Low rent True Romance with some narrative ingenuity.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
I spent the weekend watching a few of the movies mentioned in this new thread and some really cool films that aren't here yet.

I will post reviews later.

Quickies for now:

The Little Things (2021)- 6.5/10
Denzel carries this mediocre film. I hope that someone writes a sequel with a twist. Was stupidly looking for another Se7en found a 6.5

The Hunt (2012)/ Jagten (Danish Title) - 7.5/10
Jagten is a very frustrating watch that pissed me off and made me want to punch small communities in the face but it is a very good film. Mads is fantastic. I have been a huge Mads Mikkelsen fan since I saw Pusher in the late 90's so am a little biased...

Last edited:

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Calibre (2018) - 8/10. Great story about choice and consequence.
I Watched this yesterday. Gets a solid 7 from me. Just too many moments of "For fsck's sake, nobody would handle the situation like that!" in the beginning. Played out quite nicely though and I dig Scottish films.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
The Guilty (2018) -7.5/10. Fascinating single location thriller from Denmark.