Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Splinter

Honorary Master
I don't think your spoiler alert is working as it should.

I agree with you. It seems they concentrated on setting up the fight scenes (like Tekken - "fight!"), and not as much attention was paid to the plot.

That's because I'm doing old school spoiler alerts :).

And agree with your comment. Here's a spoiler question:

What were the blue vials for? I may have missed it, but they got the vials and then what? I'm assuming it was the start of the toxin that they used that didn't originally kill the female?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Legend of Billie Jean (1985) 7/10

High energy, likeable action with good performances. Theme song is catchy.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Not quite the same. Any time travel movie faces the inherent paradox of time travel. And they normally try and minimise it by making it applicable to only a small group of individuals

This one was particularly bad in that they made it a highway between present and future, backwards and forwards. Also, the issues I mentioned were not just related to time travel. Another example:

SPOILER alert

When they land in Miami, and everyone else is dead and they are asked to rescue the research team and then MUST get the 12 blue vials (which were 15 I think?), they are under massive time pressure because the whole city is now going to be bombed. Said bombing, we are told, cannot be stopped.

Why? The future of humanity supposedly rests on these vials (and father), so why on earth would they bomb the city with them still in it? Because it's infested with the aliens? The whole frikken planet is infested with them; that's the whole point of the movie.

Only Miami is overrun to point where only a full cleanup would be effective, not the whole planet. The blue ampoules are currently in use but only deadly against the males. After the landing that went horribly wrong, the team was instructed to perform a search and rescue mission on which included the research (ampoules)

cerebus

Honorary Master
Looper (2012) 7/10 - on rewatch the time travel elements are quite sloppy, and even though it makes fun of the Primer-style time travel I think it could have worked out its mechanics a bit better than this.

Otherwise it’s fun and tense although some scenes made me lose all sympathy for the protagonist

Splinter

Honorary Master
Only Miami is overrun to point where only a full cleanup would be effective, not the whole planet. The blue ampoules are currently in use but only deadly against the males. After the landing that went horribly wrong, the team was instructed to perform a search and rescue mission on which included the research (ampoules)

I'm not suggesting the whole planet be bombed, but that bombing Miami just because it's overrun is ridiculous given that it is imperative for humanities survival that the blue ampules and data be retrieved. What you mean by them being "currently in use"? And yes, I'm fully aware of what the team was instructed to do, that's why it's inane that the city was bombed while they were trying to do so

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I'm not suggesting the whole planet be bombed, but that bombing Miami just because it's overrun is ridiculous given that it is imperative for humanities survival that the blue ampules and data be retrieved. What you mean by them being "currently in use"? And yes, I'm fully aware of what the team was instructed to do, that's why it's inane that the city was bombed while they were trying to do so

Priority was the research team the ampules was an after thought when it was discovered the team had been killed. The colonel already knew the blue ampules were only effective against the males, hence why she needed to capture the female. It would be daft for the lead scientist not to have samples/formula already in her possession and that the only samples are in Miami being overrun by aliens and her team dead.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Priority was the research team the ampules was an after thought when it was discovered the team had been killed. The colonel already knew the blue ampules were only effective against the males, hence why she needed to capture the female. It would be daft for the lead scientist not to have samples/formula already in her possession and that the only samples are in Miami being overrun by aliens and her team dead.
Aaai.

No, if you actually watch the movie, it's stated over and over again that the ampules are the critical thing (once the father somehow knows that the corpses hanging from the ceiling are the entire research team). And the data drives. Obviously, rescuing the research team would mean them having such in their possession as well. And where in the movie does it show that it was known that the blue ampules were only effective against the males? You are making things up.

And yes, daft indeed. Which is what I have been saying about this movie the whole time.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Jolt (2021) 6/10

High action popcorn flick. A fair bit of nonsense yet still entertaining. Not too dissimilar to a female version of Crank.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Aaai.

No, if you actually watch the movie, it's stated over and over again that the ampules are the critical thing (once the father somehow knows that the corpses hanging from the ceiling are the entire research team). And the data drives. Obviously, rescuing the research team would mean them having such in their possession as well. And where in the movie does it show that it was known that the blue ampules were only effective against the males? You are making things up.

And yes, daft indeed. Which is what I have been saying about this movie the whole time.

I got a date with Yvonne so I'll ask her then.... if theres time. Watch this space.

BackStabbath

The Father
Dementia a truly horrific mental condition. The movie makes you wonder if you've missed something. You can't keep track of who's who, or what's what. Names and faces get mixed up. The timeline is unclear. 5/5 Anthony Hopkins is still in great acting form.

1627071900692.png

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Jolt (2021) 6/10

High action popcorn flick. A fair bit of nonsense yet still entertaining. Not too dissimilar to a female version of Crank.
Tucci :)

Just finished this awesome show.

Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
The Courier (2021) - 7/10 - A bit bland but Benny Cumbatch is impressive in the lead.

Anthropoid (2016) - 7.5/10 - Harrowing WW2 true story set in Prague.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Thoroughbreds 2017 - 7.5/10

Loved Anya Taylor-Joy and Olivia Cooke in this. Gorgeously shot as well.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
The Father
Dementia a truly horrific mental condition. The movie makes you wonder if you've missed something. You can't keep track of who's who, or what's what. Names and faces get mixed up. The timeline is unclear. 5/5 Anthony Hopkins is still in great acting form.

View attachment 1113360
You have just described dementia....that is the whole point of the movie.