Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Red Rock West (1993) 7/10

Great neo-noir thriller. High level of intrigue, tight story, an enthralling watch. Peak Nic Cage.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Pig (2021) 6/10. Pretty boring and pointless and
he spends the whole movie covered in blood and viscera for no reason.

Affieplaas

Blood Red Sky

7/10 from me.

Lots of violence, lots of blood, plenty of vampires (and not the sparkling romantic kind) - exactly what the doctor ordered.

cenredash

Expert Member
A Quiet Place 2 - 5.5/10. Drags the already-questionable premise (feral blind rage aliens who mastered interstellar travel) even further into silliness and characters suffering the consequences of their bad decisions.

I would generally agree with you on bad decisions ruining movies, but you can't say stupid decisions and silliness isn't realistic anymore.

People vote for Trump, Zuma. People are anti-vaxx. They end mask mandates then people still wear masks, but over their chins. Bad decisions are part of the rich tapestry of being a part of the human race.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Lucky (2020) 4.5 / 10
Confusing horror, but it's full of metaphors and symbolism. Still not good.

Audition (1999) 6 / 10
Still one of the most disturbing horrors even made.

cerebus

Honorary Master
The Wild Pear Tree (2018) 9/10. Turkish film about a graduate who comes back home and tries to start his career. Funny and understatedly epic.

George Netherby

Pig (2021) 6/10. Pretty boring and pointless and
he spends the whole movie covered in blood and viscera for no reason.
We watched Pig last night, both of us enjoyed this film. It was great to see NC in something that wasn't skop, skiet en donner.

Affieplaas

I see some other folks have already listed Jolt.

It is 6/10 according to my rating scale. Above average action movie and Auntie Kate is pleasant on the eye. It is well worth the watch if you have like car chases. explosions and fist fights.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Jolt - 5/10. Ageing Kate looking like a hooker running around in heels making lame penis jokes in her native Brit accent just didn't feel as right when Charlize Theron does it.
That Die Hard actor is irritating AF. Why do they keep casting him.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bound (1996) 7/10

The Wachowski's first film.Top notch neo-noir crime thriller. High level of humour & style, enjoyed the dark comical undertones.

Snip.png