Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Guilty (2021) 6.5/10

Good crime thriller, lots of tension & suspense. Jake Gyllenhaal's character development could have been done better.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Audition (1999) 8/10
Starts off a quiet drama with comedic touches before the trademark Takashi Miike nuttiness kicks in. All in all, kinda creepy and very not Ichi The Killer (which usually makes me laugh). Pretty great.

Unbreakable (2000) 7.5/10
Aged like fine wine, IMO. Bruce Willis as good as I've seen, ditto Samuel L and an origin story unlike anything else - it's a solid film. The color thing is kinda gimmicky and maybe gives away too much but that's not a problem rewatching it...Robin Wright still manages to look luminescent even in monochrome.

Gramps66

Nah, I was in a good mood. It's just lazy, it's stupid, it's cliché, the acting was fair to middling... it just didn't have much going for it, to me. Probably doesn't help that I don't know these characters besides Harley, I just didn't find myself giving a damn about anyone, couldn't get invested in anything in the film.

Beyond that, the costumes are cheap, the shark played no significant role other than comic relief for 9 year olds.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it if you did. But I found it crap.
I totally agree with you. People's standards of good new movies dropped very low during this pandemic times with all the crap that Hollywood pushed out. If someone doesn't know who James Gunn was they would struggle to believe you if you tell them this is the same guy that directed Guardians of the Galaxy.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I totally agree with you. People's standards of good new movies dropped very low during this pandemic times with all the crap that Hollywood pushed out. If someone doesn't know who James Gunn was they would struggle to believe you if you tell them this is the same guy that directed Guardians of the Galaxy.

I really enjoyed it and I find the hate baffling. The 2016 SS was a garish cacophony of sloppy direction and the single worst interpretation of the Joker in anything.

James Gunn's take was just better. The plot made sense, the violence was well choreographed, it was funny and the best thing DC's put out in my opinion.

Welcome to yours of course, just no need to think other people are stupid for liking something.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I really enjoyed it and I find the hate baffling. The 2016 SS was a garish cacophony of sloppy direction and the single worst interpretation of the Joker in anything.

James Gunn's take was just better. The plot made sense, the violence was well choreographed, it was funny and the best thing DC's put out in my opinion.

Welcome to yours of course, just no need to think other people are stupid for liking something.
So you prefer SS to the Batman trilogy?

WW?

BvS?

JL?

I'd rather watch any of those before rewatching this mess to be honest. I agree on being entitled to differing opinions though.

cerebus

Honorary Master
So you prefer SS to the Batman trilogy?

WW?

BvS?

JL?

I'd rather watch any of those before rewatching this mess to be honest. I agree on being entitled to differing opinions though.

Ok obviously not the Batman films or older Superman films. But much more than BvS, WW, JL, Aquaman, etc. Basically all the new DC stuff.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Ok obviously not the Batman films or older Superman films. But much more than BvS, WW, JL, Aquaman, etc. Basically all the new DC stuff.
Wow. That truly surprises me, I thoroughly enjoys the others. Not WW1984 because that was a travesty, but the others I found the be far superior films, at least in terms of my personal enjoyment.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Wow. That truly surprises me, I thoroughly enjoys the others. Not WW1984 because that was a travesty, but the others I found the be far superior films, at least in terms of my personal enjoyment.

Well seeing that the original Suicide Squad has a 26/59 RT score and the new one has 91/82 it shouldn't surprise you too much. BvS has 29/63, JL has 40/69. Only WW has a good rating 93/83 but personally I felt it just fell apart at the end. Not that RT scores are everything but they indicate how critics and most people felt about it.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Just Mercy (2019) - 7/10

Decent movie, helped by the fact it's based on a true story.

Good acting all around. Very strange seeing Buster Scruggs without his hat but Nelson does a good job pulling it off.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Bad Seed (1956) 7/10

Effective psychological thriller, pretty boundary pushing for it’s day. Well played suspense element.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Boys From County Hell (2020) 6.5/10

Indie comedy-horror set in rural Ireland...quite fun.

rvZA

Executive Member
"HDRip" :sick:
Some of us have standards :ROFL:

:ROFL: True. No 4k out as yet, just an 11GB 1080p WebDL, which is fine for me.

I see 4k webrip could be out on 28 September on iTunes. But, BR is scheduled for 14 October or so. Not a long wait.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
The Voyeurs (2021) 5.5 / 10

You get to see Sydney Sweeney's bewbs.
Need I saw more :thumbsup:

Enjoyed the twist.

Last edited:

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Intrusion: 6/10

This was decent imo, although just felt like we've seen many of these types of movies before.