Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

FiestaST

Honorary Master
A new Tim Roth movie has dropped.

Bergman Island
I dunno hey. Give us your expertise after you watch.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Little Big Mouth (2021) 5.5/10

Local (Jozi) Netflix romcom. Standard generic stuff, not much to say.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The Brotherhood of War (Tae Guk Gi in Korean) (2004) 7.5/10

South Korean action drama set in the time of the Korean War. Really enjoyed it - the super-visceral combat scenes make up a lot for the occasionally overly-dramatic acting.

edit: Night Teeth (2021) 5/10
Main dude does a good job (comes across quite likeable on-screen), movie doesn't live up to the little hints of world-building we get and ends up being super-disposable. That White Lotus girl has an amazing set of lungs...guess I was too annoyed when she was on-screen in White Lotus to notice.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Dune (2021) - 6.5/10.

Astonishingly good visuals and impeccable casting. But the storyline is so badly conveyed that I just couldn’t follow what was happening.

Epic battles happen where I had no idea who was meant to be fighting and characters get introduced where I wasn’t even sure whose side they were meant to be on. A real pity and so much wasted potential.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Dune (2021) - 6.5/10.

Astonishingly good visuals and impeccable casting. But the storyline is so badly conveyed that I just couldn’t follow what was happening.

Epic battles happen where I had no idea who was meant to be fighting and characters get introduced where I wasn’t even sure whose side they were meant to be on. A real pity and so much wasted potential.
/dontgetit

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The story is comprehensively covered in a book by Frank Herbert, conveniently titled "Dune".

BackStabbath

Never seen the new Dune but I remember the old movie from when I was young. Ahhhh. I honestly didn't remember much about it other than it was sorta weird, there were giant worms, a bunch of people had glowing blue eyes, and Sting was in it. Going to check the new one after all this back n forth banter.

tumblr_mvjwwbl9mE1sykpjyo4_400.gif

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Dune (2021) - 8/10. Some of the best visuals ever put to screen. The action is beautifully executed and the casting is spot on especially Paul.
Main issue is is that the story has been done so many times and so familiar that it takes a away some of its freshness.
That being said they stay as close to the book as possible and if you're not familiar with the book it can be confusing.
Unfortunately since it covers only half of the novel it's going to be a good few years before we see a conclusion, if ever, given how things have gone. Box office looks positive.