Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Splinter

Honorary Master
This movie is apparently a hit on Netflix. They know that putting familiar faces in garbage is all they need to do and still be popular with the masses.

Yeah, I saw that. Monster hit for them it seems. But I can see why the critics panned it. It's just the star power that drags it through, as you say.

Having said that, the buddy-buddy chemistry between DJ and RR was very lacking.

I think Ryan announced a sabbatical after this movie?

Splinter

Honorary Master
This movie is apparently a hit on Netflix. They know that putting familiar faces in garbage is all they need to do and still be popular with the masses.

I liked this comment from one of the critics review on the site :)

"Like the plot of the film itself, none of the many bullets that whizz around ever seem to find their targets."

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Yeah, I saw that. Monster hit for them it seems. But I can see why the critics panned it. It's just the star power that drags it through, as you say.

Having said that, the buddy-buddy chemistry between DJ and RR was very lacking.

I think Ryan announced a sabbatical after this movie?
Sabbatical from Netflix I'm sure.
6 Underground was just as shyte.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Love Hard (2021) 5.5/10

Super cheesy mediocre romcom. Weak chemistry between the two leads doesn't help.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Den Skyldige (The Guilty) (2018) 7.5/10

Solid Danish thriller...successfully builds tension working with (mostly) a single character in an office. Pretty neat.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Jake Gyllenhaal was in a US remake this year with Antoine Fuqua directing and Nic Pizzolatto (True Detective) writing.

Might be good, might be poop.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of Americans giving us a live action dub but I’ll stick with the original

cerebus

Honorary Master
I see this just dropped

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I see this just dropped
Chris was impressed with that one.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Last Night in Soho (2021) 7.5/10

Unique original psychological horror. Edgar Wright knocked it out the park. The cinematography, set design & casting oozes sophistication and class.

0A4FCD88-99C7-4739-8DC7-38359AD16280.jpeg

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Looks cool. Bruce Campbell :D

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Home Sweet Home Alone (2021) 3.5/10

Essentially a Home Alone (1990) reboot with a crappier narrative. Casting is horrible, gags are turd worthy & there is zero comedy. Worst of the all the lead (the kid) is highly annoying. The *only* saving grace is a few references to the OG film & the return of one of the OG characters.

Pitch Meeting said it best:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Last Night in Soho 7/10. Quite difficult to score. On one hand the visual direction is a step up from anything before with incredible reproduction of 60s London and some moments of real horror. But also poorly plotted, shallow and repetitive.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Home Sweet Home Alone (2021) 3.5/10

Essentially a Home Alone (1990) reboot with a crappier narrative. Casting is horrible, gags are turd worthy & there is zero comedy. Worst of the all the lead (the kid) is highly annoying. The *only* saving grace is a few references to the OG film & the return of one of the OG characters.

Pitch Meeting said it best:

Yes, a WTF movie. Like they want to indoctrinate the kids into the PC or SJW culture.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
One review on the new Ghostbusters movie.

"This is a movie that is one giant Easter Egg, cracked and rotten and sulphurous in its stink." ...

Ouch.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
King Richard (2021) 7/10

Insightful biographical drama. Uplifting, inspirational watch. Will Smith hitting a master class as Richard Williams.