Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) 6.5/10

Fun watch, story was slightly underwhelming & almost stripped down. Venom is a likeable character. The mid-credit scene is a must watch.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Petite Maman (2021) - 9/10

Magical realist French film about two young girls who meet after the death of a grandmother. Heavily channels Studio Ghibli films like My Neighbor Totoro and When Marnie Was There with wonderfully unforced child performances and a casual blurring of the line between reality and fantasy.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Black Friday (2021) 5.5 / 10

It had some good moments, but it could have done with some more comedy IMO.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Spencer (2021) 7/10. I loved the atmosphere and the soundtrack, but I didn't like Kristen Stewart at all. Other people praised her performance but she felt mannered and forced to me.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Will watch and assess but isn't this exactly how Diana needed to be/act as the Princess?

Well kind of but I felt she rather called attention to her own performance as Diana rather than inhabiting her. There were a lot of mannerisms that just irritated me, tbh. She isn't that bad.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Well kind of but I felt she rather called attention to her own performance as Diana rather than inhabiting her. There were a lot of mannerisms that just irritated me, tbh. She isn't that bad.
Yeah was a surprise choice to begin with. Will line up soon.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Was also impressed with The Last Duel which I'm eagerly awaiting. Made a point about how these historical epics are a dying breed. Only made 20 million odd despite cast and director pedigree.
Director Ridley Scott is blaming Millennials for The Last Duel's box office failure, but what's the real reason the movie underperformed? Written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck (with assists by Nicole Holofcener), the film debuted in October to mixed reviews and low turnout in theaters, making it a flop at the box office. In an interview with THR, Scott blamed Millennials on their phones as the culprit for The Last Duel’s box office showing, but he left out quite a few promotional and timing factors that were the real issues for the film’s poor performance. Post-pandemic box office is difficult for any film, but The Last Duel had an uphill battle from the start.

Source

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Director Ridley Scott is blaming Millennials for The Last Duel's box office failure, but what's the real reason the movie underperformed? Written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck (with assists by Nicole Holofcener), the film debuted in October to mixed reviews and low turnout in theaters, making it a flop at the box office. In an interview with THR, Scott blamed Millennials on their phones as the culprit for The Last Duel’s box office showing, but he left out quite a few promotional and timing factors that were the real issues for the film’s poor performance. Post-pandemic box office is difficult for any film, but The Last Duel had an uphill battle from the start.

Source
Lol. Becoming more senile but he's right in a way. Young 'uns only know Marvel.
Back in the day they were watching Spartacus for kicks.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Last Night In Soho - 6/10

I got annoyed quite a lot in the first half and began skipping through the drawn out song and dance schit. Second half got my attention at first but then also started going all over the place. LOVE the soundtrack and the acting was pretty good. A bit of a messy film but I was entertained more than annoyed. Defos not on my repeat list.

No idea what to watch tonight. Will find something. Not in the mood for schit.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Spencer (2021) 7/10

An intimate & poignant watch. Wow, Kristen Stewart was amazing, absolutely nailed the likeness & mannerisms.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Stillwater (2021) - IMDB - 6/10

Slow burner and not for everyone. mAtT dAmOn was actually okay and the little girl, Maya, played by Lilou Siauvaud was brilliant (and I usually can't stand kid actors). I enjoy a slow drama from time to time and have a soft spot for France so it was an easy watch for me mostly. Most folks would probably find it very boring.

What next... need something for after dinner and I give up on Netflix. Searching Netflix for something fresh to watch is like getting to the video store late on a Friday evening back in the day expecting to find something good to watch in the "New Releases" section. Isn't gonna happen... YTS, here I come...

UrBaN963

Honorary Master

Slow burner and not for everyone. mAtT dAmOn was actually okay and the little girl, Maya, played by Lilou Siauvaud was brilliant (and I usually can't stand kid actors). I enjoy a slow drama from time to time and have a soft spot for France so it was an easy watch for me mostly. Most folks would probably find it very boring.

What next... need something for after dinner and I give up on Netflix. Searching Netflix for something fresh to watch is like getting to the video store late on a Friday evening back in the day expecting to find something good to watch in the "New Releases" section. Isn't gonna happen... YTS, here I come...

Maybe bruised. Otherwise Arcane is very good (and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t really like animated stuff).

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

That's why I still torrent a lot.