Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Nitram (2021) 8/10

A look at the life of Martin Bryant, the Port Arthur mass shooter in the period leading up to the event. Plays out like a psychological drama with very good performances by the main cast.

Discomfiting, very well-made.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Nitram (2021) 8/10

A look at the life of Martin Bryant, the Port Arthur mass shooter in the period leading up to the event. Plays out like a psychological drama with very good performances by the main cast.

Thanks for heads up...grabbed it now.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Encanto (2021) - 6.5/10. Some good songs from Lin Manuel Miranda but goes badly downhill in the second act and fails to bring any of its themes home. At times it feels like a discount Frozen but the kids enjoyed it

cerebus

Honorary Master
James Gunn is right

ddf5435a31aa573f0fede77eb65ea3a5.jpg

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Spencer - 5/10. Supposed to be some kind of allegory to her state of mind and suffering but it feels pointless and staged which makes Stewart's performance also somewhat deliberate.

Red Notice - 6.5/10. Stupid but fun popcorn movie with Reynolds usual deadpan schtick.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Nitram (2021) 8/10

Watched this yesterday. Did not read anything about it before hand, just grabbed it because I dig Aussie films. Was raw and gritty and caught me completely off guard. 8/10 from me too.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Re-watched the LOTR trilogy this week.

Still a 10/10.

Tried to watch it on Showmax but the quality wasn't great so I popped in the Blu-Rays.

Watched it with someone who had never seen it, and she enjoyed it so much she watched The Hobbit trilogy over two days. I still haven't seen those.

wbot

Executive Member
The Hobbit trilogy is great imo but doesn't come close to LotR which are my favourite movies of all time.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Don't know why The Hobbit is so hated

The completely unnecessary, made-up elf-dwarf romance might have something to do with it. That undermined the whole LOTR arc of Legolas and Gimli disliking each other purely on the basis of being from different races and eventually growing beyond that into friendship. This elf chick and Kili fall for each other in like seconds...wtf?

Also Azog the Defiler died like a 100 years before the battle of the 5 armies...

They're OK movies (largely, IMO because big budget fantasy movies are rare) but they're not a patch on LOTR. The writing choices they made are a bit poop.

Last edited:

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Watched this yesterday. Did not read anything about it before hand, just grabbed it because I dig Aussie films. Was raw and gritty and caught me completely off guard. 8/10 from me too.
Looked up the director and I've seen one of his other movies (True History of the Ned Kelly Gang - also good)...going to try find The Snowtown Murders somewhere.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Looked up the director and I've seen one of his other movies (True History of the Ned Kelly Gang - also good)...going to try find The Snowtown Murders somewhere.
Seen a film on the Snowtown Murders. Was really raw but good. 6.5/10

If you haven't seen Animal Kingdom, I highly recommend it. 8/10. Good cast in a film closely based on the crimes of the real Pettingill family in Australia.
Strong performances all around. Jacki Weaver and James Frecheville are fantastic in this.