Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The completely unnecessary, made-up elf-dwarf romance might have something to do with it. That undermined the whole LOTR arc of Legolas and Gimli disliking each other purely on the basis of being from different races and eventually growing beyond that into friendship. This elf chick and Kili fall for each other in like seconds...wtf?

Also Azog the Defiler died like a 100 years before the battle of the 5 armies...

They're OK movies (largely, IMO because big budget fantasy movies are rare) but they're not a patch on LOTR. The writing choices they made are a bit poop.
There were also huge amount of issues from a production point of view that created a lot of chaos. Del Toro had spent ~2 years working on it from a writing/directing perspective, only to quit because the studios kept dragging their feet and refusing to actually greenlight the project due to ongoing litigation issues. Jackson then tried to step in to fix a lot of it, but it's clear that it wasn't going to be possible and a lot of that translated on screen.

ab-user

Expert Member
I suspect that reading the reviews on IMDB is more entertaining than the film.

I have never liked Willis and have steered clear of his movies for years. That being said, Red wasn't a total loss but he was still fscking rubbish in it.
I watched it. Was absolutely schitt. His movies are worse than Stephan Seagulls stuff

cerebus

Honorary Master
Don't know why The Hobbit is so hated

I don't hate The Hobbit but I don't love the LotR films as much as many. It's all pretty good fun fantasy action to me. None of it bears much relation to the books.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Seen a film on the Snowtown Murders. Was really raw but good. 6.5/10

If you haven't seen Animal Kingdom, I highly recommend it. 8/10. Good cast in a film closely based on the crimes of the real Pettingill family in Australia.
Strong performances all around. Jacki Weaver and James Frecheville are fantastic in this.
That's a good one...watched it kind of coincidentally while working through some of Joel Edgerton's stuff (after watching It Comes At Night and Midnight Special).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bruised (2020) 6/10

Halle Berry's directorial debut. Not a particular memorable watch vs other boxing/fighting films. Dragged out, lots of cliches.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nitram (2021) 7.5/10

Excellent biographical psychological drama. Emotionally dense yet disturbing. Caleb Landry Jones delivers a powerhouse performance.

wbot

Executive Member
I don't hate The Hobbit but I don't love the LotR films as much as many. It's all pretty good fun fantasy action to me. None of it bears much relation to the books.
Luckily I don't ever read so I have nothing to compare movies to :)

LotR trilogy is the greatest of all time. The Hobbit is not nearly as good or epic but I still love it.

Cius

Executive Member
I am a huge fan of Tolkien. Have read the hobbit and the LOTR many times. The LOTR was OK, but did rob a few minor characters to build up the main cast which I thought was unnecessary. Still great movies though. The Hobbit movies on the other hand where trash, and so untrue to the original story I stopped watching after the first movie. Had I never read the book I may have enjoyed it I guess but as that is not the case I stand by my opinion. The Hobbit was not an "action" book, so much as an adventure and journey story. The whole white orc side story was pure hollywood fluff, and completely unnecessary. Hoping that in my lifetime someone does it right. Unlikely though considering what is happening to the average attention span of the human race. Its why I almost prefer to watch a movie and then read the book (as I did for The Martian) as then I can fully enjoy both.

wbot

Executive Member
They say the 1970s animated Hobbit movie is far better than the trilogy. Anyone seen that one? Worth a watch?

JohnStarr

Executive Member
They say the 1970s animated Hobbit movie is far better than the trilogy. Anyone seen that one? Worth a watch?
Saw it when I was a child back in the late 1980s. It was pretty good. I read The Hobbit & all 3 LOTR books thereafter. I think between 1988-1990 (Std 5-Std7).

Readsalot

Expert Member
There's a Nash Bridges movie?

MV5BNjUxZTdkODItMmY1OC00NTE5LWIzOWItNDRlOTk5Y2NjNWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0MzU2NA@@._V1_.jpg

Datura

Captain Faptastic
I see The Last Duel is in the wild.
Just watched it. Fscking yawn fest of note. Really didn't enjoy it at all. 4/10 from me. Waste of two and a half hours...

EDIT: lol was just reading the trivia on IMDB. I didn't know that mAtT dAmOn can't grow facial hair. He walks funny too. Like he's got an egg up his arse he is trying not to break...

Last edited:

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The Snowtown Murders (2011) 6/10

Same director as Nitram - not as good. The subject matter is interesting (true crime usually is) but the movie is kinda clunky, maybe a little overwrought.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
The Snowtown Murders (2011) 6/10

Same director as Nitram - not as good. The subject matter is interesting (true crime usually is) but the movie is kinda clunky, maybe a little overwrought.
Agreed. Nitram was much better. Didn't realise it was the same director. I watched The Boys about a year ago. Was also interesting subject matter but was a tad flat 6/10. Directed by Rowan Woods who also directed Chopper which I enjoyed very much. 7.5/10 Eric Bana killed it!

Been putting of watching Wolf Creek but I think I will give it a bash. The Aussies sure dig their true crime stuff.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Agreed. Nitram was much better. Didn't realise it was the same director. I watched The Boys about a year ago. Was also interesting subject matter but was a tad flat 6/10. Directed by Rowan Woods who also directed Chopper which I enjoyed very much. 7.5/10 Eric Bana killed it!

Been putting of watching Wolf Creek but I think I will give it a bash. The Aussies sure dig their true crime stuff.

Wolf Creek doesn't try to be sophisticated, it's got a straight-up slasher vibe with some Eli Roth kinda violence thrown in. Enjoyed it for what it is.

Will see if I can track down The Boys - don't think I've seen it.