Movie piracy linked to increased box office revenue – Study

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Oh dear - what an inconvenient statistic for the film industry.

Even if it wasn't the case though, piracy is a symptom of a problem more than a problem in and of itself.

Back in the day, the torrent sites were loaded to the gills with music, books and video games, and now they suck for those mediums. Is it perhaps because music streaming is excellent value, books are cheap on Amazon and video game platforms like GOG and Steam offer a vastly superior user experience to piracy (and thanks to sales, at prices that are accessible to pretty much everyone)? Who knows. Seems like a suspicious correlation to me.

Films, on the other hand, are available way, way too late after cinematic release and are too expensive to rent and purchase. Hollywood seems oblivious to the fact that films are around 2 hours of entertainment and should be priced appropriately. TV series, for the most part, are no longer an issue thanks to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc. but there are still problematic outliers. If people can't get to your show via any popular streaming service then they're going to pirate it - this isn't a tricky conclusion to reach when making decisions as a publisher.

And of course, cinema ticket prices aren't helping the reliability of these statistics. It blows my mind that Ster Kinekor still doesn't have a relatively cheap subscription service to see 4+ films a month during quiet show times.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I don't subscribe to the concept of piracy except if it involves actual pirates on the high seas

Pitbull

Verboten
Release movies instantly online on streaming services globally. It's cheaper and people will buy it instead of downloading it.

It's not that hard. Cinemas are sooooo 1930's

konfab

Honorary Master
Release movies instantly online on streaming services globally. It's cheaper and people will buy it instead of downloading it.

It's not that hard. Cinemas are sooooo 1930's
With their older movies and series, simply upload them to Youtube and monetize them with a few adverts. Very few people are going to torrent a film or an older TV show if it is on Youtube.

Pitbull

Verboten
With their older movies and series, simply upload them to Youtube and monetize them with a few adverts. Very few people are going to torrent a film or an older TV show if it is on Youtube.
Exactly. I have moved away from torrents on movies purely because of the Camcorder shyte.

It will say BD-Rip or whatever and still be a shyte copy. I just wait for it to be showing somewhere. And I haven't gone to a cinema in probably 25 years :D

Pitbull

Verboten
I just realized, what year was Scary Movie launched? That was the last movie I saw in a cinema iirc...

Pitbull

Verboten

Mine was 2005 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sorry was thinking of Scream, off which Scary movie is based on. googled it now as I remember I was still at school. 1996... Jirre :D

vancity33

Mine was Bohemian Rhapsody....and that was only because Discovery Vitality gave me free tickets for the preview. And before that was Crimes of Grindelwald thanks to free preview tickets from M-net.

stefan9

Executive Member
Get rid of the geo locking will the first step in the right direction. Very few games,music or book services employ that crap.

Pitbull

Verboten
Mine was Bohemian Rhapsody....and that was only because Discovery Vitality gave me free tickets for the preview. And before that was Crimes of Grindelwald thanks to free preview tickets from M-net.
That's actually something I would like to watch in a Cinema. If it wasn't for the people in Cinemas, it would be awesome :(
But Alas, will watch it when it's available online and I can watch in online with 7.2 sound.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Cinemas have priced themselves out of the game with their insane costs, not only of the tickets but of the drinks and food. And besides, why would I want to go spend a couple of hundred bucks to go sit in a theatre where the person in front of me will sit on his phone the entire movie, blinding me. Or the idiot behind me insists on kicking my chair. Or, the two morons next to me who insist on talking their way through it. Not going to happen...

eg2505

Honorary Master
adapt or die, its really that simple ster kinekor and nu metro,

people have choice, and they CHOOSE to use something else,

make it more attractive, and then maybe things might change.

spiff

Expert Member
stuff them all - I get whatever I want / when I want it - downloaded and sent to me direct.

I already have 8 x 1Tb Hdd's that will keep me busy for the next 2yrs!