Movie prices in SA: Ster-Kinekor vs Nu Metro

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
This is nothing compared to the cost of food, popcorn and drinks at those cinemas.

Serious daylight robbery there!!!

_TrXtR_

Funny how their prices are nearly exactly the same and they aren’t colluding or attempting to monopolize....

Nuro

Expert Member
Last time I went to the movies was taking my daughter to see Rio 2. What a terrible experience. Overpriced everything, inconsiderate people, crap seats...
Maybe I'm just getting older :p

Ninja'd

A Djinn
The hell still buys cinema snacks? I always get a bag of chips and some biltong.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Wife took daughter to watch some animated thing (Return to Oz i think it was) last year.
2 of them cost almost R300

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Watched Chappie today at the Tuesday special price of R31. Not bad at all but its the refreshments that screw you.

I know SK needs to make money to bring in the movies but at R70 for a Popcorn and Coke I'd rather smuggle or wait for yify.

Rather have refreshment specials and increase menu to increase revenue. Gateway pizza hut did this in December.

Jetboogieman

This is nothing compared to the cost of food, popcorn and drinks at those cinemas.

Serious daylight robbery there!!!
I worked in a movie theater and they explained why that was.

It's the only way they actually make any money at all, the profit margins for cinemas is extremely small.

When a film first comes out the cinema only gets 10% of ticket sales and that generally goes up by 10% every week the film remains in the movie theater which is why opening weekend is so important for the studios.

Concessions are the bread and butter of movie theaters, they make no money off the ticket sales.

The more you know.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I worked in a movie theater and they explained why that was.

It's the only way they actually make any money at all, the profit margins for cinemas is extremely small.

When a film first comes out the cinema only gets 10% of ticket sales and that generally goes up by 10% every week the film remains in the movie theater which is why opening weekend is so important for the studios.

Concessions are the bread and butter of movie theaters, they make no money off the ticket sales.

The more you know.
It still doesn't make it right.

See how much money they make when nobody is going to the cinema to watch movies anymore.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
How quaint, people actually pay large amounts of money to go sit in a room full of strangers talking on their cellphones to watch a movie that's been out on circuit in the rest of world for months already, eating overpriced and stale popcorn and drinking flat coke. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Jetboogieman

It still doesn't make it right.

See how much money they make when nobody is going to the cinema to watch movies anymore.
It is what it is, again it's the only way they actually make money but in any case it matters not.

Based on what we're seeing, Cinemas will be completely gone in 10-15 years because there's just no money in it.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
How quaint, people actually pay large amounts of money to go sit in a room full of strangers talking on their cellphones to watch a movie that's been out on circuit in the rest of world for months already, eating overpriced and stale popcorn and drinking flat coke. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Don't be an idiot. Movie watching at the cinema can be a great experience. Months on curcuit?

:wtf.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Ster Kinekor can go FüCK themselves. I will NOT spend a cent at their little popcorn and cooldrink shops. The prices are sickening. Whenever I find myself watching a movie, I WILL sneak in whatever I feel like eating. I don't care. As for the movies....do we HAVE to sit through goddamn 20 minutes of ads? Probably not, I could come late, but why!!!!!!

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Ster Kinekor can go FüCK themselves. I will NOT spend a cent at their little popcorn and cooldrink shops. The prices are sickening. Whenever I find myself watching a movie, I WILL sneak in whatever I feel like eating. I don't care. As for the movies....do we HAVE to sit through goddamn 20 minutes of ads? Probably not, I could come late, but why!!!!!!
Indeed. If the movie is scheduled for 16:45, I just tell the wife it starts at 17:00, and all is sorted.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Don't be an idiot. Movie watching at the cinema can be a great experience. Months on curcuit?

:wtf.
No thanks. I'll take my 43" TV and surround sound system on my comfortable couch at home over the cinema any day.