Movie theatres are strangling the movie business: Netflix CEO

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Can streaming services really bring in up to (and sometimes over) a billion dollars of revenue for new films though? I'm not seeing a proposed alternative to theatrical releases.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Can streaming services really bring in up to (and sometimes over) a billion dollars of revenue for new films though? I'm not seeing a proposed alternative to theatrical releases.
If it's not possible now....give it 5 more years.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Lol with all the crap low budget movies on Netflix I can see why he says this. I'll gladly pay R200-R300 for a movie service where I can watch the latest blu-ray releases.
Which is how much you pay for 1 person for 1 movie at the cinema

skimread

Honorary Master
With movie theaters you can somehow control piracy. Otherwise there is no way. I think that is the real motivation

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Just look at how things currently work? It almost always takes at least 2 months for an HD rip to hit the download scene after a theatrical release.

EA said that the Denuvo DRM is a godsend for their FIFA sales. Although it will eventually be cracked after a month or so, the first month is where consumers willing to pay for the game must be directed away from piracy. This could also apply to movie releases.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I haven't been to a cinema in years. Most people I know haven't either. Technology has advanced so much that I can have far superior cinema experience in the comfort of my own home on my comfortable couch.

crackersa

Honorary Master
I haven't been to a cinema in years. Most people I know haven't either. Technology has advanced so much that I can have far superior cinema experience in the comfort of my own home on my comfortable couch.
This

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Arr matey!

I used to sail the high seas but haven't done that either for a long time. Most new movie releases are crap. If I hear about one more Marvel movie I think I'll puke. Can't be bothered to be honest. Between DSTV, Showmax and Netflix I have more than enough to keep me busy for years.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I used to sail the high seas but haven't done that either for a long time. Most new movie releases are crap. If I hear about one more Marvel movie I think I'll puke. Can't be bothered to be honest. Between DSTV, Showmax and Netflix I have more than enough to keep me busy for years.
Wolverine 3 and Guardians 2 are going to be great

/watches closely

ponder

Honorary Master

And you got get idiots chatting away, cellphones going off etc etc.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

You must have some poor cinemas near you. IMAX here in PE is awesome. Much bigger screen (or field of view I should say) than home cinema can offer, not to mention new releases. I see loads of new films in cinema every year - all the superhero stuff plus any release of a critically acclaimed film. It's great fun.

And you got get idiots chatting away, cellphones going off etc etc.

From my experience that's very uncommon. Even in Star Wars, which had every last seat filled at release, the cinema was dead silent unless the movie was providing laughs. And there's something nice about a cinema laughing at the same stuff you are - some sort of validation of your opinion of the quality of the film I suppose.

I can only recall two occasions of problematic audience members, and both were young children. Both times they were shut up very quickly. The one incident was pretty epic actually. A huge bodybuilder type dude left his seat to deal with two incredibly inconsiderate kids (kicking bottles around the floor in front of the front row like a soccer game). As he approached, their equally uncaring dad/guardian stood up for a fight. Without missing a beat the huge guy dragged all 3 out the cinema. I think they were making a noise, but you couldn't hear over the cheering of the audience. This was before the ads even finished. Good times.

ponder

Honorary Master
I can only recall two occasions of problematic audience members, and both were young children. Both times they were shut up very quickly. The one incident was pretty epic actually. A huge bodybuilder type dude left his seat to deal with two incredibly inconsiderate kids (kicking bottles around the floor in front of the front row like a soccer game). As he approached, their equally uncaring dad/guardian stood up for a fight. Without missing a beat the huge guy dragged all 3 out the cinema. I think they were making a noise, but you couldn't hear over the cheering of the audience. This was before the ads even finished. Good times.

I would have been cheering as well!

deathroned

There is a service called Prima cinema, $35000 installation fee and they are picky, $500 a higher than blu ray quality movie and $600 for a 3d version for a one time viewing in your hone cinema.

Absinth

Cinemas should make the experience more affordable then they can make their money with volumes.

I use to be a Premium+ member, but it is these days just too expensive.

Lupus

Honorary Master
To the guys who haven't been to the cinemas in years: You do realise the seats are now bigger and aren't uncomfortable, the whole experience isn't like it used to be. I only started going to the cinema recently with my son and was pleasantly surprised, yea it's expensive but it's not as bad as the last time I went.