Moving from Cool Ideas - The best ISP to move to

tehan

I am with Cool Ideas and SADV, and I want to switch providers, as they have been extremely poor in all respects. What is the process I have to follow to switch my line to a different ISP, and which ones do you think is best? I am currently considering HomeConnect, Supersonic and Afrihost. Any help would be appreciated!

S.Claus

Give in your months notice and wait for Cool Ideas to release the line into the holding pool (can be done immediately but your gonna pay) after that simply apply at your desired ISP .

+1 Afrihost

tehan

HomeConnect is asking about R200 less for their 100mb package, an I've heard good things, but would like to hear from someone with personal experience...

webtailor

I signed up for Mind The Speed as they came forward with a quite attractive plan a little ago... 2 months free, 10% discount for 6 months, fixed IP and symmetrical 100/100.

I should be connected by the 30th sep. Only then can report back about their QoS.

maxwie

Seems like its good-bye from me to not so Cool Ideas also. They were good, but not anymore. Anyone knows about RSA Web perhaps?

tehan

I signed up for Mind The Speed as they came forward with a quite attractive plan a little ago... 2 months free, 10% discount for 6 months, fixed IP and symmetrical 100/100.

I should be connected by the 30th sep. Only then can report back about their QoS.
How did you get the extras?

JFT96

I'd recommend vox although not the cheapest
Here be dragons!

Beware: Their sales pitch is delightful. The reality in their service is that you will receive less than 50% international bw and a after-sales service that reminds me what it must have been like trying to negotiate with the mafia in the 1920's...

And... you will bleed from your eyes when you try to cancel.

xefor

Not sure about Afrihost, looked at their support thread and there is some stuff going on there too.

R13...

Honorary Master
Here be dragons!

Beware: Their sales pitch is delightful. The reality in their service is that you will receive less than 50% international bw and a after-sales service that reminds me what it must have been like trying to negotiate with the mafia in the 1920's...

And... you will bleed from your eyes when you try to cancel.
Well that sucks, if I were to ever leave CISP they were the ISP I would have considered them being relatively bigger and I'd assumed they'd come with better customer care.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Websquad, Home Connect, Accelerit, Cybersmart, Cape Connect all decent choices. Mind The speed looks very good and their provider Network Platforms is pretty decent so should be good. I'm using Afrihost now and they are pretty solid. Supersonic is decent but their Openserve I don't trust because I left due to poor performance on Openserve. If you are moving to them and you won't take their router and installation then I suppose they are a decent option because you won't have any sort of clawback.

tehan

Websquad, Home Connect, Accelerit, Cybersmart, Cape Connect all decent choices. Mind The speed looks very good and their provider Network Platforms is pretty decent so should be good. I'm using Afrihost now and they are pretty solid. Supersonic is decent but their Openserve I don't trust because I left due to poor performance on Openserve. If you are moving to them and you won't take their router and installation then I suppose they are a decent option because you won't have any sort of clawback.
Between Mind The speed and Home Connect, which would you say is better? Home Connect seems to be cheaper on the 100mbps line, but MTS looks to be like CISP before they went to ****.

Shpongle

Does anyone know if cool ideas have any cancellation penalties? I didn't pay for installation so I can see a 1.5 grand bill appearing if I move to another ISP.

Higgins

No cancellation penalties if you are month to month with CISP.Just give a months notice.
I actually refuse to give CISP a month's notices due to their pathetic service. I was with HC last year but their international speed was poor. Especially when streaming something from international, hence I moved to CISP.

Anyone know which ISP isgood with international spreamimg traffic?

RazorCPT

Not gonna touch AH with a garden pole. Other suggestions?
For what its worth, I've been with Afrihost for a few months now and they've actually been rad. Network has been super stable (although coming from Cool Ideas it didn't take much) and I'd give support around a 6.5/10. The MyBB guys make support 9/10.

I was super keen to go with Web Squad but they not available yet on SADV. Apparently that's going to change soon but for now I have no reason to look elsewhere.