Moving from VBulletin to Xenforo - Your feedback needed

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Here you go : https://xenforo.com/demo/

edit : seems the demo forum is only specific per email address and is not publicly accessible.

But it gives you a good idea what to expect.

Luckily 95% of the forums I use, use Xenforo, so I am familiar with it. :p It really has progressed over the years.

Even from the first time I used it (RaceDepartment circa 2010/11), there has been some clear progress, and it only gets better.

Reactions: Yuu

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Luckily 95% of the forums I use, use Xenforo, so I am familiar with it. :p It really has progressed over the years.

Even from the first time I used it (RaceDepartment circa 2010/11), there has been some clear progress, and it only gets better.

I've been on phpBB (Smoothwall forums) Discourse (here and there) VB (myBB and others) but never on Xenforo.

Always good to have something new :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
All good as long as Tapatalk works.

This is the most pertinent statement in this entire thread because without it the forums would be dead to me.

Personally I would have just upgraded VB as a much less hassle effort and no need to migrate etc, the differences between them surely don't outweigh the effort required.

To be honest I've never ever heard of Xenforo before and I visit a LOT of forums so for me it just looks like potential hurt and pain.

Actually I see Carbonite's new system is Xenforo and it's just been utterly painful from the very start of that switch so I would have to say Nay.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
This is the most pertinent statement in this entire thread because without it the forums would be dead to me.

Personally I would have just upgraded VB as a much less hassle effort and no need to migrate etc, the differences between them surely don't outweigh the effort required.

To be honest I've never ever heard of Xenforo before and I visit a LOT of forums so for me it just looks like potential hurt and pain.

Tapatalk works with Xenforo, since forever. However, I avoid Tapacrap itself. Xenforo works brilliantly on mobile, so it will be an upgrade from this for me.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
We are considering moving from VBulletin to Xenforo. We are at end-of-life with VB4, and VB5 did not receive great reviews. Xenforo is the logical choice (the guys which were behind the great VB3), with more features and stable software.

Actually I see Carbonite's new system is Xenforo and it's just been utterly painful from the very start of that switch so I would have to say Nay.

It is never a good idea to use systems that are or approaching EOL. XenForo it is...

Venomous

Honorary Master
Re-register. Us mods will be first in line, so we can pick and choose at usernames :p

Joking

I assume that there's utilities which will convert a VB database into a Xenforo DB without loss of posts, [-]dick[/-]funny pictures and the such.

Having taken a look at the demo, go for it.
Just imagine how much you have to post everyday to regain your same post count in A WEEK..
:erm:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Tapatalk works with Xenforo, since forever. However, I avoid Tapacrap itself. Xenforo works brilliantly on mobile, so it will be an upgrade from this for me.

Tapatalk is the only thing that keeps forums alive for me.

But yes I realised after I posted that Carbonite is on Xenforo now and it works with Tapatalk although I have to say not as well.

It is never a good idea to use systems that are or approaching EOL. XenForo it is...

Is it really approaching EOL? There is also MyBB (not this one, the other one) which is virtually the same.

vB seems very much alive to me.

Unless you mean staying on the current version...because that's not what I said at all.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Will our usernames + data be moved over or will we need to re-register?
Definitely moved over. There will be some things we cannot import, like the blogs and CMS, but that we do not use anyway.

Dave

Honorary Master
Tapatalk is the only thing that keeps forums alive for me.

Have you heard there is an opinion that Tapatalk breaches the GDPR? I've seen some forums have completely deactivated tapatalk access on legal advice that they can't safeguard their users data once it is sent to tapatalk.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Have you heard there is an opinion that Tapatalk breaches the GDPR? I've seen some forums have completely deactivated tapatalk access on legal advice that they can't safeguard their users data once it is sent to tapatalk.

Who cares.

I don’t put any personal data on there to begin with.

Dave

Honorary Master
Who cares.

I don’t put any personal data on there to begin with.

That isn't really the point, it's not about you as an individual.

By the way, every post you make constitutes personal data...

Dave

Honorary Master
That looks very colorful :p

I'm presuming that can be controlled by admin who decides how colourful they want it.

Here's a more muted in colour Xenforo forum: www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that Xenforo dynamically scales according to screen size so a mobile app isn't really necessary.