Moving from VBulletin to Xenforo - Your feedback needed

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that Xenforo dynamically scales according to screen size so a mobile app isn't really necessary.

The benefits of the mobile app isn’t scaling in my view.

It’s about firstly trimming all the fluff and giving you just the content.

Secondly it’s about managing notifications.

Then it’s about keeping all the forums in one place.

And lastly it’s about easily uploading and linking stuff which is less relevant depending on the forum in question but still applies for most.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
When are we doing this? Is the search gonna work?
It is a fairly big project - not easy with 12 million posts, multiple user groups and the like. We hope we can do it within the next 3 weeks.

As for search - we are buying an advanced search add-on, so we hope it offers an improvement :)

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
It is a fairly big project - not easy with 12 million posts, multiple user groups and the like. We hope we can do it within the next 3 weeks.

As for search - we are buying an advanced search add-on, so we hope it offers an improvement :)

What about the most often requested features- Custom avatars?
But yes, the XenForo migration, I look forward to that...

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Have you guys considered Discourse?
https://www.discourse.org/

It is good, but its interface differ in a major way, and will lead to confusion, which will lead to hate, which will lead to anger...

Rather stick with something that is more or less the same so the existing [-]sheeple*[/-]user base will be more comfortable with things.

*tongue-in-cheek

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Re-register. Us mods will be first in line, so we can pick and choose at usernames :p

Joking

I assume that there's utilities which will convert a VB database into a Xenforo DB without loss of posts, [-]dick[/-]funny pictures and the such.

Having taken a look at the demo, go for it.

We've recently done the transition with Carbonite, we didn't lose anything (not even iTrader scores) other than liked posts being reset.

Dave

Honorary Master
It is good, but its interface differ in a major way, and will lead to confusion, which will lead to hate, which will lead to anger...

Rather stick with something that is more or less the same so the existing [-]sheeple*[/-]user base will be more comfortable with things.

*tongue-in-cheek

They use Discourse on 2 other forums I visit, it's just clumsy and crap, it gives the impression that the admins are either amateurs or don't want to spend money on proper forum software.

It's not as bad as Lithium, but it's still way up the crap scale...

scudsucker

Executive Member
They use Discourse on 2 other forums I visit, it's just clumsy and crap, it gives the impression that the admins are either amateurs or don't want to spend money on proper forum software.

It's not as bad as Lithium, but it's still way up the crap scale...

Read this thread, at the DailyWTF, whose owner volunteered to beta test Discourse.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/17231/wtf-how-can-this-be-so-wrong-aka-the-discopocalypse-thread

The users at TDWF tend to be devs. Sure they do try to break things but they also find bugs and suggest how to fix them.

The response: anyone from TDWF got banned from the Discourse forum, and many of the bugs remain. Stay far away from Discourse

Mux

This sounds like a good move. If there is 1 thing I learnt over the years in IT is, it is to adapt and be ready for constant change. I'd say - Go for it!

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Nee sies man. If we want to do it, let's do it properly and leave this Discourse *** out of the discussion.

Dave

Honorary Master
Nee sies man. If we want to do it, let's do it properly and leave this Discourse *** out of the discussion.

Luckily rpm is being quite sensible and it upgrading to Xenforo.