Moving from VBulletin to Xenforo - Your feedback needed

Petec

Expert Member
Used to work with many forums and forum software a while back.
Loved Kier's work, and hated VBulletin when it all went south and they shafted him.
Kier's work is masterful.

ponder

Honorary Master
Toss-up between Discourse and Xenforo.

Busy evaluating a demo of Xenforo.

I dislike discourse with a passion!

A linux distro forum I was heavily involved in switched to discourse, it annoyed me so much that I eventually asked them to close my account and I had no more involvement in that project since. I do not use any discourse sites, I avoid them like the plague...

Thor

Honorary Master

A linux distro forum I was heavily involved in switched to discourse, it annoyed me so much that I eventually asked them to close my account and I had no more involvement in that project since. I do not use any discourse sites, I avoid them like the plague...
What do you guys like, besides vb?

Call it market research for me :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Have only used this one for a small club:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/asgaros-forum/

Does not look too bad I will give this a spin. I am looking for something else, I have used xen before lack of styling makes it a bit of a schlep, currently run a bespoke system so I can customize it, but want to move back to a "maintained" system.

Have you used phpBB before, if you did, how does asgaros's admin and moderation ability compare?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Does not look too bad I will give this a spin. I am looking for something else, I have used xen before lack of styling makes it a bit of a schlep, currently run a bespoke system so I can customize it, but want to move back to a "maintained" system.

Have you used phpBB before, if you did, how does asgaros's admin and moderation ability compare?
Nope, I haven't.

Dave

Honorary Master
I have used xen before lack of styling makes it a bit of a schlep, currently run a bespoke system so I can customize it, but want to move back to a "maintained" system.

Is there really a lack of styling?

Every other xen forum I’ve used has more than one style available and all use multiple colours for the standard theme (mybb is the first pure white xenforo forum I’ve seen).

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

Ditto. It's very messy.

Ivanr

Expert Member
We are considering moving from VBulletin to Xenforo. We are at end-of-life with VB4, and VB5 did not receive great reviews. Xenforo is the logical choice (the guys which were behind the great VB3), with more features and stable software.

The migration will cause some pain and is sure to break a few things. However, we think it will also bring benefits.

Your feedback on this planned move will be great.
Yes go for it.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Doesn’t pressing reply in the post you want to quote work?

Last I tried to use it, quoting in Tapatalk was broken. It just initiates a normal thread reply without any quote.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Not sure if it's related, but for the last few days my MyBB app has been misbehaving. Started with forcing me to log in again, which I did. Then nothing would load at all. Finally have threads viewable, but all Participated threads have disappeared?