Moving from WebAfrica to Axxess (and back)

netsurferj

I moved into a new home and thought to give "no.1" a try according to the latest mybroadband review, below my findings:

Accounts
  • WebAfrica never had any issues with payments/double billing even when migrating my line
  • Axxess missed a payment in my first month & disabled my service. When migrating my line, double charged me for data usage - my account is currently in credit, was never refunded

Network
  • WebAfrica my line was extremely slow & unstable at first. Mailed them a few times, did the Telkom guest account test etc. They logged the fault twice with Telkom & everything was smooth thereafter - I could play fast paced games during peak times without lag on a 4Mbps line
  • Axxess speedtest.net always reports a consistent 3.8Mbps download speed (again a 4Mbps line), but the line speed dies during peak times (even though the speedtest.net does not change). Mailed them a few times, did the Telkom guest account test etc. Asked them to log the fault with Telkom. Still no fault is logged and their result is to just keep recreating my port (with no success). During the day, however, download & video streaming speeds are extremely good.

WebAfrica has a 30 day money back guarantee, Axxess apparently does not have. I am in the process of switching back to WebAfrica.

MickZA

Executive Member
Sounds like the exchange in the area you've moved to is congested at peak times ...

ToxicCorra27

I moved into a new home and thought to give "no.1" a try according to the latest mybroadband review, below my findings:

Accounts
  • WebAfrica never had any issues with payments/double billing even when migrating my line
  • Axxess missed a payment in my first month & disabled my service. When migrating my line, double charged me for data usage - my account is currently in credit, was never refunded

Network
  • WebAfrica my line was extremely slow & unstable at first. Mailed them a few times, did the Telkom guest account test etc. They logged the fault twice with Telkom & everything was smooth thereafter - I could play fast paced games during peak times without lag on a 4Mbps line
  • Axxess speedtest.net always reports a consistent 3.8Mbps download speed (again a 4Mbps line), but the line speed dies during peak times (even though the speedtest.net does not change). Mailed them a few times, did the Telkom guest account test etc. Asked them to log the fault with Telkom. Still no fault is logged and their result is to just keep recreating my port (with no success). During the day, however, download & video streaming speeds are extremely good.

WebAfrica has a 30 day money back guarantee, Axxess apparently does not have. I am in the process of switching back to WebAfrica.

Thanks for telling us your story.

But I disagree I had several issues with my Telkom Line since Sunday last week. Axxess logged 4 calls with Telkom during the week everytime they could not pin point the issue.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

Accounts

Network

You could try http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/member.php/241270-The-Axxess-Lady she generally sorts out problems in a few minutes.

Webafrica has a full calendar month cancellation so just be careful of that.

The Axxess Lady

Axxess Representative
Company Rep
Hi netsurferj,
Apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have followed up on your query and believe the issue has now been resolved. Please don't hesitate to email me directly, should have any further questions (theaxxesslady@adsl.co.za)
The Axxess Lady

netsurferj

Hi netsurferj,
Apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have followed up on your query and believe the issue has now been resolved. Please don't hesitate to email me directly, should have any further questions (theaxxesslady@adsl.co.za)
The Axxess Lady

As mentioned above, I closed my axxess account. Webafrica is already busy resolving my issue, as speedtest.net shows a more accurate result with their logon.

netsurferj

Attempt 1.

Webafrica was more than happy to ask that a telkom technician is dispatched to look at the issue. They followed up, asking if the technician was out, what they found & what the response was.

The telkom technician said that the port at the exchange is faulty, and switched me to a different port. My connection is still the same, slow during peak times and erratic the rest of the time.

I reported this to webafrica, who said they will report my issue to telkom with high priority and ask them to send another technician to test the infrastructure & exchange.

I am very impressed with webafrica: that they seem keen to help me resolve this and are following up in my support request.

Regarding billing, webafrica calculated my pro-rata account balance perfectly for the line and data. No double billing. They are, however, unable to take any ad-hoc payments in other forms than eft (even though I have debit order details - which I had to capture with a manual PDF document). Axxess was one up on this - they accept ad-hoc payment and have an on-line debit order form, but axxess ended up taking more money because of bad account management (after taking too little and cutting off my service). I am still waiting for my axxess refund...