Moving ISPs - quite the headache

Bekkerkn

Hi,

I moved away from my previous ISP to Coolideas. I still can’t get a straight answer from them on how long it’ll be until my internet activates. From the forum it looks like around 24 hours is doable, we’re now on day 3. Blame can’t be put on Vumatel this time round as they’ve already cam by the house and said it’s up to Coolideas who in turn says it’s up to Vumatel.

Anyone with a recent ISP move to tell me if things are worse than can be expected? I’m thinking that I may have to crawl back to my previous ISP - useless service but at least I understood when they spoke to me.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi,

I moved away from my previous ISP to Coolideas. I still can’t get a straight answer from them on how long it’ll be until my internet activates. From the forum it looks like around 24 hours is doable, we’re now on day 3. Blame can’t be put on Vumatel this time round as they’ve already cam by the house and said it’s up to Coolideas who in turn says it’s up to Vumatel.

Anyone with a recent ISP move to tell me if things are worse than can be expected? I’m thinking that I may have to crawl back to my previous ISP - useless service but at least I understood when they spoke to me.
Can you give me your application ref number?

The process is sometimes back and forth with Vumatel and their provisioning teams, especially if it's an older installation. Also dont believe a team that is onsite as they have no clue how the provisioning process works :)

Also there is a dedicated Cool Ideas thread here:

Last edited:

ctriaan

Hi,

I switched to Cool Ideas on 1 August, my last day with my old ISP being Saturday, 31 July.

The old ISP disconnected me at about 01:00 on Sunday and I was up and running on Cool Ideas at about 09:00 on Monday.

It probably would have been 09:00 on Sunday if Octotel worked on Sundays, but unfortunately they don't.

Bekkerkn

I switched to Cool Ideas on 1 August, my last day with my old ISP being Saturday, 31 July.

The old ISP disconnected me at about 01:00 on Sunday and I was up and running on Cool Ideas at about 09:00 on Monday.

It probably would have been 09:00 on Sunday if Octotel worked on Sundays, but unfortunately they don't.
Thanks. Seems service is slipping or I’m an outlier - either way, still without internet and going into day 4 tomorrow. Probably would have to make a call tomorrow as commuting and cell data charges are proving costly

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thanks. Seems service is slipping or I’m an outlier - either way, still without internet and going into day 4 tomorrow. Probably would have to make a call tomorrow as commuting and cell data charges are proving costly
They changed the way their platform works and so with historic links prior to this change there can be complications, but it shouldn't take this long to resolve.

Bekkerkn

Still without internet and still no clear answer except to say they’re waiting on Vumatel and have no control. @PBCool I know you’ve escalated (not sure what that entails) and not directly involved here but I’m struggling to understand how SLAs etc aren’t enforced. If this is an outlier then surely it has to require more than “waiting for Vumatel “

ChrisnaB

They changed the way their platform works and so with historic links prior to this change there can be complications, but it shouldn't take this long to resolve.
The lack of attention to this query is shocking and unacceptable. We had been without a connection in times where we permanently work from home for 4 days, with no explanation except to blame Vumatel and to repeatedly say the matter is escalated with no feedback. We have already changed ISP's 3 days into our new contract with Cool Ideas.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
The lack of attention to this query is shocking and unacceptable. We had been without a connection in times where we permanently work from home for 4 days, with no explanation except to blame Vumatel and to repeatedly say the matter is escalated with no feedback. We have already changed ISP's 3 days into our new contract with Cool Ideas.
Sorry I don't follow are you in the same situation as the OP? Is there something I can assist with?

Armizael

Still without internet and still no clear answer except to say they’re waiting on Vumatel and have no control. @PBCool I know you’ve escalated (not sure what that entails) and not directly involved here but I’m struggling to understand how SLAs etc aren’t enforced. If this is an outlier then surely it has to require more than “waiting for Vumatel “
I don't believe there are *any* SLAs with home connections - FNO's have all the power, cannot be held responsible, nor are they contactable as a home customer.
All of the frustration and problems are shifted onto the ISP as the single point of contact, while they have thousands of hoops to jump through to get support or even log packet loss or speed issues on the last mile.

It's a best of both worlds scenario for them - they get money if their product works as it should or not and since most FNOs aren't double dipping in rollout areas, it's not like you are spoiled for choice and can vote with your wallet.

Hope you guys get your line up and running!

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I don't believe there are *any* SLAs with home connections - FNO's have all the power, cannot be held responsible, nor are they contactable as a home customer.
All of the frustration and problems are shifted onto the ISP as the single point of contact, while they have thousands of hoops to jump through to get support or even log packet loss or speed issues on the last mile.

It's a best of both worlds scenario for them - they get money if their product works as it should or not and since most FNOs aren't double dipping in rollout areas, it's not like you are spoiled for choice and can vote with your wallet.

Hope you guys get your line up and running!
Yes so in this case the issue was placed with Vumatel, they contract to nanofibre. Logged the callout with nanofibre, nanofibre cancelled the call. Follow-up with Vumatel, Vumatel find the cancelled call, log again. Escalate with nanofibre this am, which brings us to now.

So which then brings us to this point where we have to get to escalation level 4 to get anything done.

Armizael

Yes so in this case the issue was placed with Vumatel, they contract to nanofibre. Logged the callout with nanofibre, nanofibre cancelled the call. Follow-up with Vumatel, Vumatel find the cancelled call, log again. Escalate with nanofibre this am, which brings us to now.

So which then brings us to this point where we have to get to escalation level 4 to get anything done.
Exactly my point - it's frankly a ridiculous set up and there should absolutely be some sort of recourse against the FNOs for lost business as a result.

rh1

Expert Member
@Bekkerkn and @ChrisnaB making 2 user accounts to deal with same issue, so can I assume it is:
Chrisna Bekker

In a perfect world, yes, it would be seamless, but, I would have made allowances when jumping ship, you know in case there is not another ship and you are floating in the middle of the ocean. Does not help telling the only ship in the area who is trying to assist that you going to wait for the next ship passing by.

So before jumping ship, expect delays. Plan an alternative internet source i.e. a sim card with some data. From reading othet people experiences, sometimes it is seamless amd other time it is not.

Bekkerkn

@rh1 Not exactly. My wife also has an account and vented our frustration. Would have been great to have the advice before the switch but have to agree.

Bekkerkn

@Armizael agreed that it makes it difficult for an ISP but the consumer is completely at the mercy of both ISPs and FNOs. If Vumatel is subcontracting out I think ISPs could pick up this element to further improve a value offering but may be too simplistic a view. @PBCool I did ask for it to be cancelled and was signing up with another ISP when told that my query received manager escalation (assumes this is the level 4) so stopped the process with the new order thinking it was resolved. I was in another call when Coolideas phoned so phoned the call centre afterwards and was told that the line needs to be reordered and I’d likely have to wait another 24-36 hours. So, looks like back to square 1…

Bekkerkn

Update - just received a mail that the internet is working. I’m at work so can’t verify yet but good news for a change. Quite the eye-opening experience…