Moving to Klapmuts to work in Stellenbosch...good or bad idea?

Fireball

Hi folks

Has anyone here lived in or near Klapmuts? What is your opinion on the place and living there?

I may have an opportunity to work in Stellenbosch, but the rent there is insane!
Klapmuts isn't too far away, and seems to have some decent-looking townhouses in the newer secured complexes that look rather affordable.
The daily commute to Stellenbosch sounds palatable. One-way would be between 30 to 60 minutes depending on traffic according to Google Maps.

I know nothing about the town though other than it is apparently a historically poor town with bad infrastructure until recently. The complexes I saw on Property24 look very neat and well-kept though, and is apparently near a mall.
All I found when Googling for Klapmuts was two articles - one relating to a farm murder, and the other about a botched break-in.

I'm a single, late 20's Afrikaans guy from Pretoria, working in Software Development.

konfab

Honorary Master
Hi folks

Has anyone here lived in or near Klapmuts? What is your opinion on the place and living there?

I may have an opportunity to work in Stellenbosch, but the rent there is insane!
Klapmuts isn't too far away, and seems to have some decent-looking townhouses in the newer secured complexes that look rather affordable.
The daily commute to Stellenbosch sounds palatable. One-way would be between 30 to 60 minutes depending on traffic according to Google Maps.

I know nothing about the town though other than it is apparently a historically poor town with bad infrastructure until recently. The complexes I saw on Property24 look very neat and well-kept though, and is apparently near a mall.
All I found when Googling for Klapmuts was two articles - one relating to a farm murder, and the other about a botched break-in.

I'm a single, late 20's Afrikaans guy from Pretoria, working in Software Development.
There is a shyteload of gang violence in the area. The only mall you would want to go to would be in Paarl.

I would suggest Kylemore as an alternative. Or you could commute from Somerset West/Strand.

Fireball

There is a shyteload of gang violence in the area. The only mall you would want to go to would be in Paarl.

I would suggest Kylemore as an alternative. Or you could commute from Somerset West/Strand.
Thanks for the info! I will look into Kylemore and surrounding areas.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to what place would be decent to live in?
The job will be in Technopark, just outside Stellenbosch.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
My cottage will be open soon that I currently stay in, with easy access to stellenbosch if you willing to drive on a bit of gravel. No traffic on gravel road lol

Cottage is in joosternberg vlakte, 100Sqm with garden , full eletric fencing, parking inside the propety etc

Have vdsl up to 40mps.

Daruk

Honorary Master
[MENTION=42842]Rouxenator[/MENTION] should know

biometrics

Honorary Master
Technopark is on the Somerset West/Strand side of Stellenbosch so that's you best choice.

saor

Honorary Master
Technopark is on the Somerset West/Strand side of Stellenbosch so that's you best choice.
This.
I'd start looking in Somerset West before anywhere else - it's closest and a nice area.

bokka1

Expert Member
You can also look at Kuils River. We are about 15 to 20 minutes from Techno Park.

signates

Expert Member
Agreed.

Have a look at Somerset West first. I also think there's a regular shuttle going to Techno Park from Somerset West and back.

What's your budget and what type off accommodation are you looking for?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Somerset West is for people that can't afford Stellenbosch :p

I work next to Kreefgat but say closer to Klapmuts. The commute from this side to Technopark can be pretty bad, so S/West might be an option. Depends on where in Stellenbosch the work is.