Moving to Saudi Arabia

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Dated a teacher that went to UAE. He lasted about 6 months and then found a job in China. He said it is just horrible. Now, if that is the UAE, I can only imagine what Saudi would be like. Basically the people he said are entitled rude fcktards that looks down on anyone and anything that is not Arab and muslim and they do it so that you KNOW it.
Very true. My experience in the UAE as well.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Brother was there for 10 years in the end. SAP related. Had no expenses there..housing ,everything provided for. Every now and then drove across to Bahrain, having a legal beer over there. Didn't take long to start brewing his own :) Socially it sucked, financially worth it.

Added bonus was the ability of cheaply travel to Europe and surrounds
Is your brother on the forum? I would like to have a private chat with him regarding SAP since I am on the market. Need tips and stuff.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Don't think so sorry. He retired about 2 years ago as well... ancient man :D

genetic

Honorary Master
Update:

I kindly declined the offer, stating I was happy in CPT and was not too keen on Saudi.

They've now come back with a revised offer... They want me to be based in Dubai instead, and travel between London and Riyadh as need be. My stays in Riyadh will be short, as most of our business will be London / UAE centric, with the idea of eventually expanding into the rest of Africa and Europe.

I have to respond by Tuesday morning AM with my list of questions, and will need to give them a final answer by Friday.

Lots to think about, and this is a hard decision to make.... :(

Last edited:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Update:

I kindly declined the offer, stating I was happy in CPT and was not too keen on Saudi.

They've now come back with a revised offer... They wan't me to be based in Dubai instead, and travel between London and Riyadh as need be. My stays in Riyadh will be short, as most of our business will be London / UAE centric, with the idea of eventually expanding into the rest of Africa and Europe.

I have to respond by Tuesday morning AM with my list of questions, and will need to give them a final answer by Friday.

If I were you, I would jump on it but then I love moving, don't have fixed assets or liabilities (family) behind. Can't you negotiate a short term contract first to see if you like it (3 or 6 months)?

I should hear from Saudi Arabia again sometime before the end of the year and will take it if they're still interested.

marine1

Honorary Master
Another thing to remember, if you get into trouble there which is extremely likely, you are on your own

McT

The Humble Scot!
Update:

They've now come back with a revised offer... They wan't me to be based in Dubai instead, and travel between London and Riyadh as need be. My stays in Riyadh will be short, as most of our business will be London / UAE centric, with the idea of eventually expanding into the rest of Africa and Europe.

Sure looks like the deal has been sweetened. Dubai will be a lot easier to settle into and less strict, from what I know, than Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Cost of living? Something to think about. But if you are travelling more, then would the company not pick up some of those expenses. Definitely lots to think about.

genetic

Honorary Master
Sure looks like the deal has been sweetened. Dubai will be a lot easier to settle into and less strict, from what I know, than Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Cost of living? Something to think about. But if you are travelling more, then would the company not pick up some of those expenses. Definitely lots to think about.
Yeah, I'd need to find out about logistics and the financial viability of such a move. In all honesty I'd probably do a year or two contract, and then re-evaluate my situation.

Reactions: McT

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Update:

If the money is good, go for it.

Dubai is Ok. Saudi is not somewhere I would wanna live

Reactions: McT

McT

The Humble Scot!
Yeah, I'd need to find out about logistics and the financial viability of such a move. In all honesty I'd probably do a year or two contract, and then re-evaluate my situation.
A year or two sounds like the way to do it. Do your homework. Make sure the important things to you are in a contract. If you do go, enjoy the experience ... and then start a thread, "genetic does Dubai" :)

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
A year or two sounds like the way to do it. Do your homework. Make sure the important things to you are in a contract. If you do go, enjoy the experience ... and then start a thread, "genetic does Dubai" :)
And schit is expensive there. Its not like SA. So make sure you have your accomodation, medical and transport sorted withing your contract.