Mozilla in Trouble - No Outlook for Linux?

MacLindroid

Few people realise that most users around the globe have either little or no Internet access. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm Having limited nconnectivity at GPRS/Edge level or with a jurassic dial-up modem, together with exorbitant pricing and also intermittent connections, calls for off-line mail clients and PIM organizers such as Evolution and Thunderbird with Lightning.

Evolution has its quirks and my main gripe with it is that calendars become read-only all by itself, making the editing of events via PC impossible. It has consistently been inconsistent and I remove it by default if it comes bundled with a new Linux installation.

Thunderbird has been at risk for a while now but the situation is getting worse. http://www.zdnet.com/where-does-troubled-mozilla-go-from-here-7000030533/

If Thunderbird fails as well, we are left with NO PIM organizer that can sync with a smartphone, or am I wrong here?

Could the solution possibly be to run a server with carDAV/webDAV/calDAV in order to ensure calendars/reminders/contacts/notes can get synchronized via wireless LAN between user PC and user mobile device? If this is a good solution, all it means is that users have to set up an old PC with minimal resources ate home/office and sync when on the premises. Kmail for KDE. or Clawsmail for all?

Or is there a better solution at hand?

envo

Expert Member
Your post makes absolutely no sense. Go back and edit it if you want a coherent, intelligent response to whatever you're mumbling about. Either that or I'm just assuming you're a spam bot building links to zdnet, because that's how incoherent these ramblings of you are.

envo

Expert Member
Gmail > Outlook

I *think* what the OP is moaning about is that not everyone has internet. But then why do they bother with email if no one has internet?

:confused:

In any case, maybe they should rely on their postal system and writing letters instead of email?

MacLindroid

I *think* what the OP is moaning about is that not everyone has internet. But then why do they bother with email if no one has internet?

:confused:

In any case, maybe they should rely on their postal system and writing letters instead of email?

They still need a computer....many people have been using them for many years before there even was the Internet. That is not going to change. Others have internet, but so slow that it can only handle basic email.

MacLindroid

Typical brainless forum posters cannot do anything intelligent, lack the capacity to differentiate between their virtual little worlds and society out there, are just too downright stupid to see beyond their little worlds...tiny as it is.

There is a big world out there and go get some factual knowledge instead of turning yet another MyBB thread into the usual verbal diarrhea which comes unrefined from minds incapable of producing anything sensible. Go to your little virtual connected planet which is a tiny village hidden somewhere in a cloud so small most can't even see it.

Whenever people here will get education and actually understand how the world functions, is beyond me. MyBB is the sourest forum anywhere.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thunderbird isn't going anywhere. Even if they stop releasing updates the old versions will still be there.

Tinuva

The Magician
That and there is other email clients on Linux, not just Evolution and Thunderbird which are the most popular 2 choices.