Mpshe ‘sloppy and undisciplined' - Seagroatt

NameOfBeast

Justice Conrad Seagroatt has described the unattributed use of a judgment of his, by acting National Director of Public Prosecutions Moketedi Mpshe, as "sloppy and undisciplined." This follows on from the earlier revelation (see here) that Mpshe had extensively plagiarised a 2002 ruling by the now retired Hong Kong high court judge in order to justify his decision to drop charges against ANC president Jacob Zuma.

"These days plagiarism is an oft-used word and discipline in universities, for example, has been lax. It is, however, tightening. Even an 'A' level student would be expected to give proper attribution. When I was a student it was occasionally the resort of a bold historian to quote ‘imaginatively' from an identified authority. In short, if a judgement is used, it should be properly attributed"

http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=127233&sn=Detail

Seagroatt's full reply is here.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
The ANC & its NPA supporters wouldn't know the difference... never mind understanding this :D

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
There's a sentiment I can relate to. The Scorpions do a fine job of gathering evidence over several years and the NPA throws the case away due to its inability to follow due process. Honestly, is this the best we can expect from out prosecutors?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
There's a sentiment I can relate to. The Scorpions do a fine job of gathering evidence over several years and the NPA throws the case away due to its inability to follow due process. Honestly, is this the best we can expect from out prosecutors?

Pay peanuts , you get ......

Sherbang

Executive Member
Slightly off topic but Gill Moodie, the blogger who tracked down Justice Seagroatt, is not a professional journalist, she writes her own blog grubstreet.co.za. I think it's cool that a blogger beat the print/tv/radio media pro's on this and hope to see a lot more of this type of online reporting in the future. Not so easy to control a blogger whose not working for a major media house!

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Slightly off topic but Gill Moodie, the blogger who tracked down Justice Seagroatt, is not a professional journalist, she writes her own blog grubstreet.co.za. I think it's cool that a blogger beat the print/tv/radio media pro's on this and hope to see a lot more of this type of online reporting in the future. Not so easy to control a blogger whose not working for a major media house!

+1

and

+ 1000000000^99 for the blogger-in-the-street.

:D