MST3K

eek

Expert Member
Ah I love Mystery Science Theater! Got me volume 1 today!

Guess what I'm watching this week! :D

pos(t)er

Expert Member
My brother has two(Puma Man,and Deathstalker and the warriors from hell) but I've never gotten it. Is it supposed to be some sort of spoof?

eek

Expert Member
Can't really call it a spoof as they use the original movies. You have to watch it to understand it and possibly appreciate it, but in a nutshell 2 mad scientists uses a human and 2 aliens in a ploy to world domination, his method, forcing them to watch one bad movie after another, in order to study how he would cope with such torture. To keep sane, the man and his robots make a running commentary on the film, making fun of its flaws and wisecracking their way through the film in the style of a movie theater peanut gallery.

saffakanera

Expert Member
MST3K used to do the rounds on the Sci-Fi channel :) back in the days where i would actually pay for DSTV. It was and still is legendary. Monty Python is brilliant too! If you enjoy any good comedy, you would enjoy both in equal measure!

Flanders

Honorary Master
I've seen a good few of 'em and yes, some of it is hilarious! You can actually catch some full ones on youtube broken into parts. Also killa, it doesn't hurt to be high either.:p

One old black 'n' white sci-fi movie made in the 50's at the latest...

Movie dialogue: "Here, put on this (super advanced) anti-radiation suit."

Crow: "Yes! 'cause we have those now!" :D

And Biff McLargeHuge...:D

eek

Expert Member
I've seen a good few of 'em and yes, some of it is hilarious! You can actually catch some full ones on youtube broken into parts. Also killa, it doesn't hurt to be high either.:p

HAHAHAHA!!! I remember seeing that a long time ago!!! :D

sn3rd

Expert Member
Wow! I need to get these again! Where's the best place? Are they expensive?

Haven't watched these in ages!

Narrator: but in Texas, we have other problems...
Robots: yeah... Texans!

eek

Expert Member
Wow! I need to get these again! Where's the best place? Are they expensive?

Haven't watched these in ages!

Narrator: but in Texas, we have other problems...
Robots: yeah... Texans!
It's not easy to get hold of here, and they all are Region 1 dvd's. I had a friend bring mine over from the States.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I flippen LOVE MST3K!

Killa, it's not spoofs or anything, it's just 3 individuals stuck in a space station - so to pass time, they watch old, mostly black & white, movies ... throughout the movie, you see the Silhouettes of the three sitting in their seats and all they do is give running commentary on the movie.

It is absolutely to die for!

PeterCH

Honorary Master
It's "mid-western" humour. It ran for one season on SciFi channel back in the late 90s, then got axed locally because of licensing issues. Best Brains only
had licensing for the films they spoofed in the US and so only one season could be shown on Sci Fi in SA or possibly in other territories.

Rhino did some DVD releases of better MST3K episodes and you can also find an unofficial bootleg DVD of all the episodes transferred from VHS on eBay.

Mike Nelson now does RiffTracks - similar as MST3K except you buy the MP3 of a movie and sync it with the DVD, hence they don't need to license the movies as they did for the original MST3K.
http://www.rifftrax.com/

OhGats

One of my all time fav bits of entertainment. I have about 70 of them which I have collected over the years. A while back we tried to get people here to swop with but there were realistically only 2 of us that boosted our collections. They are available on DVD (not locally naturally) and they can be downloaded through the Digital Archive Project (DAP). Manos Hands of Fate is still the classic MST3K to watch, assuming you dont get suicidal watching that atrocious movie.

remybfg10k

Expert Member

Spaaaace Mutiny

A classic, can't believe it was filmed in SA though :eek: