MTN 3 Month Upgrade, still have to pay for device?

stefanl33t

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to upgrade on MTN recently? I went to the store today, on the website it states I'm eligible for an upgrade. Assistant in store tells me I can upgrade, but I need to pay R736 "to pay of my device"? Biggest load of horse **** I have ever heard! I also have the option to pay the R736 over 3 months until the contract is officially over. Doesn't MTN offer upgrades 3 months before your contract ends anymore?

Sayf777

Expert Member
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to upgrade on MTN recently? I went to the store today, on the website it states I'm eligible for an upgrade. Assistant in store tells me I can upgrade, but I need to pay R736 "to pay of my device"? Biggest load of horse **** I have ever heard! I also have the option to pay the R736 over 3 months until the contract is officially over. Doesn't MTN offer upgrades 3 months before your contract ends anymore?
They've moved to a new system so it could be this is not the case anymore.

And this is the case for all other networks when it comes to device contracts.

WAslayer

Executive Member
You pay your device off over the contract term.. if you upgrade, you still have to pay the remainder of the device fee over the remainder of the contract term..

Pretty fair, really..

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
but I need to pay R736 "to pay of my device"? Biggest load of horse **** I have ever heard!
Um, you took out a contract for 24 months and agreed to pay off the device over that period. Now you are whinging that, after 21 months, you still owe money?

Grade 5 maths exam question (3 points):
Q.
You buy a phone for R5888 on a 24 month contract. You need to pay it off in 24 equal parts. How much must you pay every month? (1 point)
A.
R245.33 per month. (R5888 / 24)

Q. After 21 months how much have you paid? (1 point)
A.
R5152 (R245.33 x 21)

Q. After 21 payments how much do you still owe? (1 point)
A.
R736 (R245.33 x 3)

3WA

Honorary Master
You pay your device off over the contract term.. if you upgrade, you still have to pay the remainder of the device fee over the remainder of the contract term..

Pretty fair, really..

It didn't work like that in the past. I had a R700-a-month 24-month contract (phone and data/minutes), but at month 22, I upgraded to a R200-a-month contract (data and minutes only). I basically skipped 2 device payments with MTN's blessing. This was October 2019.

Over the course of two 24-month contracts, I'll have had to pay 22 months at R700, and 26 months at R200.

Good to know if it's changed, since I was planning to do the same thing once current contract is up.

mrafiq1

I have had a MTN contract for the past 20 years with and @3WA is right. MTN used to forego the remaining device payments when you upgrade.

Vodacom and Cell C continued charging for the device until month 24 (have other contracts for parents and kids)

It seems that MTN has now caught onto this and will charge you for the device until month 24 (plus new device from month 22 to until 24).

Glad I didn't upgrade last month in month 22 of my current contract.
Will ride out my contract until month 24 and then upgrade from now on.

isie

Honorary Master
Um, you took out a contract for 24 months and agreed to pay off the device over that period. Now you are whinging that, after 21 months, you still owe money?

Q.
You buy a phone for R5888 on a 24 month contract. You need to pay it off in 24 equal parts. How much must you pay every month? (1 point)
A.

A.
R5152 (R245.33 x 21)

A.
R736 (R245.33 x 3)
you get 0 points because this doesn't apply - He is whining because MTN never worked liked that been with them over 20 years and they always cleared the last 2 months of the handset fee away (actually a few years before they would wipe up to 4 months) . The didnt even increase the new contract by 26 months to cover the handset charge they would stop the old and start the new on the next bill month so effectively your renewal date is 24 months and early renewal moved 2 month back.

Also there are plenty of threads that this get brought up - and honestly probably one of the only good thing I could say about MTN.

stefanl33t

you get 0 points because this doesn't apply - He is whining because MTN never worked liked that been with them over 20 years and they always cleared the last 2 months of the handset fee away (actually a few years before they would wipe up to 4 months) . The didnt even increase the new contract by 26 months to cover the handset charge they would stop the old and start the new on the next bill month so effectively your renewal date is 24 months and early renewal moved 2 month back.

Also there are plenty of threads that this get brought up - and honestly probably one of the only good thing I could say about MTN.
My point exactly, never used to work like this. Anyone knows if other providers are starting to do this? Last I heard Vodacom would even let you upgrade 6 months earlier with none of the paying for the remainder of your device BS.

stefanl33t

Q.
A.

A.
R5152 (R245.33 x 21)

A.
R736 (R245.33 x 3)
Have you never upgraded before?

Sayf777

Expert Member
My point exactly, never used to work like this. Anyone knows if other providers are starting to do this? Last I heard Vodacom would even let you upgrade 6 months earlier with none of the paying for the remainder of your device BS.
Only MTN allowed this.

Its not bs to pay the device off, it used to be an MTN advantage and maybe still is depending on which upgrade consultant you speak to.

isie

Honorary Master
As far as I know no - Vodacom definitely doesn't (i have contracts with them as well) at least not for us plebs if you upgrade early you billed the old handset fee for the remainder of the contract months + the new handset fee- that 6 months story might be for high paying customers -

stefanl33t

Pretty fair, really..
They did the 3 month upgrade period to make sure they can keep you in contract, allowing you to upgrade for "free" before your contract actually ends. Now that you have to wait till the end, MTN are opening themselves up to subscribers cancelling.

stefanl33t

Only MTN allowed this.

Its not bs to pay the device off, it used to be an MTN advantage and maybe still is depending on which upgrade consultant you speak to.
I've been on Cell C for around 15 years and I could always upgrade 3 months earlier no issues.

WAslayer

Executive Member
It didn't work like that in the past.

giphy.gif

Shi

Expert Member

Q.
A.

A.
R5152 (R245.33 x 21)

A.
R736 (R245.33 x 3)

Funny :)

Sad part of this, is that it is probably grade 11 Maths Lit.

stefanl33t

As far as I know no - Vodacom definitely doesn't (i have contracts with them as well) at least not for us plebs if you upgrade early you billed the old handset fee for the remainder of the contract months + the new handset fee- that 6 months story might be for high paying customers -
They don't mention that you have to pay for the remainder of your device, might still be in the Ts and Cs though:

"Our contracts are usually 24 months long, but from month 22, you can upgrade your cellphone to a brand new make and model."

stefanl33t

Yeah I was thinking of the "New Every Year" deal on RED plans:

isie

Honorary Master
They don't mention that you have to pay for the remainder of your device, might still be in the Ts and Cs though:

"Our contracts are usually 24 months long, but from month 22, you can upgrade your cellphone to a brand new make and model."
yup they do not mention it but they do charge it - nothing wrong but well compared to what we were used to with MTN it makes it crap