MTN 79c prepaid place plan and the PAYG bundle promos - Q&A

nathank

So, after MTN announced the new 79c per minute promo, I went to website to gather more information and also check that I am getting the best prepaid deal(s).

I then saw the PAYG Bundles which have the same call rate (79c) but come with added extras.

"Dial *141*2*794# and one can select the bundle. I have since done so.

Here are some terms that stood out to me from the MTN website:

4.2.4 In the event that the MTN PAYG Bundle has expired, but the Customer has not used the entire Rand value of the MTN PAYG Bundle, the Customer shall retain (that is, keep) the remaining Rand value.

So this means that you don't lose your Rand value - one of my initial worries.

4.2.5 Customers may not utilise the remaining MTN PAYG Bundle balance to purchase another MTN PAYG Bundle or use the remaining balance to top up.

I thought of this case...clearly they did too. So essentially the Rand value goes into a different "wallet" which cannot be used to buy a PAYG bundle again. Not sure about buying a normal data bundle though...

4.6.7 In the event that the free data/Internet Bundle is depleted/exhausted (that is, used up), before the MTN PAYG Bundle expires, the Customer will be billed against any other data/Internet bundles loaded (if any) or charged at the standard out of bundle rate.

Similar to above, this is where it gets a little unclear on a new or existing data bundle. What if I use all the "free" data in the PAYG bundle, will it then start depleting my loaded data bundle? So need to testing here, but I'm happy to work with this risk.

So, some questions remain:
1. Does using a PAYG bundle force me to revert to existing price plan for all out of bundle transactions, or do my existing or new bundles (i.e. prepaid data bundles) re-activate as soon as the validity expires or the bundle is used up?
2. Can I use the undepleted Rand value from a PAYG bundle to load a normal data bundle? (this is not clear at the moment).

cavedog

Honorary Master
So, some questions remain:
1. Does using a PAYG bundle force me to revert to existing price plan for all out of bundle transactions, or do my existing or new bundles (i.e. prepaid data bundles) re-activate as soon as the validity expires or the bundle is used up?
2. Can I use the undepleted Rand value from a PAYG bundle to load a normal data bundle? (this is not clear at the moment).

1. Yes the PAYG bundle will be depleted first then the data bundle then the PAYG bundle airtime then the all/bought/remaining airtime.

2. No you can not. Once the PAYG bundle expires the remaining airtime goes to a extra wallet only viewable via *141*1# and is for example R2.57 @ price plan rate. So it can only be used for calls @ your price plan rate. If you are on MTN pay per second it will still be 79c but if you are on MTN Zone per second it will be R2.50 per minute base excluding discount.

nathank

@cavedog, thank you. Especially for the explanation on question 2. This makes sense, and what it means is that it's a pretty good deal for anyone on Prepaid right now.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog, thank you. Especially for the explanation on question 2. This makes sense, and what it means is that it's a pretty good deal for anyone on Prepaid right now.

Yeah pretty much cause by activating a bundle you actually don't pay anything you just get extra value since the pay per second price plan is also 79c so the airtime is still valid for 79c but you get all the extra's