MTN accused of paying the Taliban

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
MTN accused of paying the Taliban

MTN has acknowledged a lawsuit filed against it by the families of US troops and contractors in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.

In a statement from MTN, the company said a complaint for the violation of the anti-terrorism act was filed on 27 December.

Sl8er

Executive Member
However, it “remains of the view” that it conducts its business in “a responsible and compliant manner in all its territories”...
...by paying turrr organizations "protection money" and doing them favors by switching off the cellular network at night.
But we "care"...#wegoturmoney

Ninja'd

A Djinn
In a statement from MTN, the company said a complaint for the violation of the anti-terrorism act was filed on 27 December.
Imma need an explanation of how a foreign company which has no operations on US soil can be in violation of US law for something that happened in a foreign country.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Imma need an explanation of how a foreign company which has no operations on US soil can be in violation of US law for something that happened in a foreign country.
Oh, you'd be surprised how wide-reaching the USA's powers are.

ActivateD

Expert Member
I am not surprised after speaking to a few people there and how they setup towers etc etc.

Sollie

Executive Member
US citizens died.

system32

Expert Member
IIRC, the USA CIA funded the Afghan "resistance" aka Mujahideen aka Taliban with more than $20billion.
Now the USA accuses MTN of paying protection money?
How wrong is that?

Perhaps MTN should sue the USA for starting the problem in the first place.

mak2000

Expert Member
Seems to be the only way to work in these countries. I'd be surprised if other companies dont do the same.

Arthur

Honorary Master
IIRC, the USA CIA funded the Afghan "resistance" aka Mujahideen aka Taliban with more than $20billion.
Now the USA accuses MTN of paying protection money?
How wrong is that?

Perhaps MTN should sue the USA for starting the problem in the first place.
Realpolitik 101: That support was to fight the Soviets. "If my enemy is your enemy, then we can work together to defeat our common enemy. It does NOT mean I support you or your ideology." The US and Britain worked with Stalin's USSR to defeat a common enemy, Hitler. Outside of that common endeavour they were mortal enemies.

Mutatis mutandis the various Afghan fanatics and jihadists.

Surely you know all this.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Theoretical and in terms of the FICA and FAIS all Bank accounts should be frozen. Won't happen but the law stipulates this should happen.

system32

Expert Member
Realpolitik 101: That support was to fight the Soviets. "If my enemy is your enemy, then we can work together to defeat our common enemy. It does NOT mean I support you or your ideology." The US and Britain worked with Stalin's USSR to defeat a common enemy, Hitler. Outside of that common endeavour they were mortal enemies.

Mutatis mutandis the various Afghan fanatics and jihadists.

Surely you know all this.
"Enemy of my enemy" Does not justify USA imperialism, USA destabilisation of South America, USA war in Afghanistan, USA War in Iraq, USA war in Korea, etc.

How many people have died due to USA aggression?

To now threaten MTN after CIA having funded the problem is a joke.