MTN airtime expiry if buying airtime of R25 or less

rory

I wonder how many others know that MTN airtime expires in 21 days if one buys an amount of R25 or less.
It even appears to expire if one tops up airtime before the expiry date.
This seems to make it even more unfair for those who cannot afford to buy more than R25 at a time.
This was discussed on this forum in 2012 but cannot find anything more about this since then.
Does icasa allow this form of "theft"

MirageF1

Expert Member
I thought that sort of malpractice has all been rectified ( by our beloved and strong protector, ICASA)

At least for data most of the major ISP's out there save the few still fighting to protect their criminality in court...

Not sure it applied to airtime...but I recently noticed my R4.50 Vodaskum airtime miraculously disappeared into the ether after a week or so after keeping it for an emergency.

So i guess not.

eg2505

Honorary Master
why has nobody tested this out, and confronted the cell operators about this?

#daylightrobbery

Gudnews

My R5 expired all the time when I recharged to keep the SIM active, haven't recharged in a while though.

jax_maxit

I have a prepaid sim (not my main) in an older Nokia for emergency situation/backup. I recharge it with R5 every 2 months and yes the entire amount disappears after some time if I don't use it. At first I thought I was signed up to a WASP service. The number is not!
Last time this happened was around November. I bought R5 air time in October or so. Never used it. My current balance is R0.