MTN Allowing WiFi Calling

susefan

Can't find the "legal" option in the current app. All my other things were already opted out and listing as "No". I still get a USSD popup every few days though. I mean, MTN, why all this junk in the first place? Just don't spam your own customers then they won't have to opt out of so much junk all the time. Also, POPI not going to help here?
If you still have these on Iphone go to: Mobile data-SIM Applications- MTN Caller Exchange and MTN MsgXpress: Turn these two off.

Tim_vb

what is "wifi calling"-Grade1 level answer please :)
When your wifi reception is decent the MNO routes the call to your phone using your phone wifi IP address. This way you can still receive calls overseas or in areas with bad reception (very useful in loadshedding when towers are down)

MTN seems to have done half the job then lost interest in this project.

marvelguy

All SA networks really need to get onboard with Wifi Calling.

Cell reception is terrible in my area.

My phone has to be on 2g to receive calls on Vodacom.

I can't receive a clear call on MTN even on 2g.

Wifi Calling seems to be active on MTN in my area.

I will give it a shot & update.

Samsung A22 Dual Sim
Screenshot_20220117-032718_Chrome.jpg

Tim_vb

MTN's network in general is great. But when load shedding hits again WiFi calling would help a ton when half their towers are down. By not enabling WiFi calling they just accelerate the move toward in app calls

Leno

Expert Member
All SA networks really need to get onboard with Wifi Calling.

Cell reception is terrible in my area.

My phone has to be on 2g to receive calls on Vodacom.

I can't receive a clear call on MTN even on 2g.

Wifi Calling seems to be active on MTN in my area.

I will give it a shot & update.

Samsung A22 Dual Sim

Any update? :)

neoprema

Executive Member
MTN's network in general is great. But when load shedding hits again WiFi calling would help a ton when half their towers are down. By not enabling WiFi calling they just accelerate the move toward in app calls
I don't think they're going to do it because it will eat into their profit for roaming calls. A lot of people travel with their MTN phones and they would rather you spend R25 per minute than a normal voice call because your phone is on Wi-Fi. They also push that R5 per minute roaming special thing too - again probably far more more money they'll make than if they let your phone connect to a Wi-Fi network outside the country and route calls like its local.

Leno

Expert Member
I don't think they're going to do it because it will eat into their profit for roaming calls. A lot of people travel with their MTN phones and they would rather you spend R25 per minute than a normal voice call because your phone is on Wi-Fi. They also push that R5 per minute roaming special thing too - again probably far more more money they'll make than if they let your phone connect to a Wi-Fi network outside the country and route calls like its local.
Would be easy for them to enable wifi calling only while in the country, my UK three sim does that

Tim_vb

roaming ripoffs are due to badly negotiated bilateral agreements in the absence of a strong regulator like the EU. You can't assume the home carrier is earning extraordinary profits and it more likely the roaming carrier is charging extraordinary rates because they can and they don't have to deal with the customer relations blowback

marvelguy

Any update? :)
Yes.. I can actually make clear calls with WiFi calling on MTN now.

I definitely recommend WiFi calling if it's available in your area.

Sometimes I have to restart my phone to make it work though. I'm not sure if it's phone or network related.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
Yes.. I can actually make clear calls with WiFi calling on MTN now.

I definitely recommend WiFi calling if it's available in your area.

Sometimes I have to restart my phone to make it work though. I'm not sure if it's phone or network related.
Wifi calling isn't area dependant.
It's phone and ISP dependant