MTN Auto-registration for paid services such as Gamer+

kennedym

Hi guys

Has anyone else experienced issues with mtn registering you automatically for their services such as the Gamer+ service? This is not a free service.
I have a data contract so the sim is in a router which i check occasionally for messages. I was lucky i caught this one within 24 hours otherwise they would have started billing me.

I phoned them and they said i clicked some popup, but i have no idea where the popup is and why popups are appearing in the first place. They have escalated the call after I gave the MTN call center agent a hard time about it, I thought its so dodgy that they can do this.

Be interested to hear others opinions/experiences.

These are the 2 sms's i got while i was sleeping:
Y'ello. You have been successfully registered with MTN Gamer+. Your account username is **********7 and your password is 535110.

Y'ello. Thank you for subscribing to MTN Gamer+ at R3.03/day or a lesser amount. 1st day is Free. Visit now http://bit.ly/2CYEXbK. To cancel dial *155#. Call 135 for help. Ts&Cs www.mtn.co.za.

marioat1

Expert Member
Hi guys

Has anyone else experienced issues with mtn registering you automatically for their services such as the Gamer+ service? This is not a free service.
I have a data contract so the sim is in a router which i check occasionally for messages. I was lucky i caught this one within 24 hours otherwise they would have started billing me.

I phoned them and they said i clicked some popup, but i have no idea where the popup is and why popups are appearing in the first place. They have escalated the call after I gave the MTN call center agent a hard time about it, I thought its so dodgy that they can do this.

Be interested to hear others opinions/experiences.

These are the 2 sms's i got while i was sleeping:
Y'ello. You have been successfully registered with MTN Gamer+. Your account username is **********7 and your password is 535110.

Y'ello. Thank you for subscribing to MTN Gamer+ at R3.03/day or a lesser amount. 1st day is Free. Visit now http://bit.ly/2CYEXbK. To cancel dial *155#. Call 135 for help. Ts&Cs www.mtn.co.za.
Suspect it happens when you load the new Mtn app, with the competition banners

kennedym

Suspect it happens when you load the new Mtn app, with the competition banners
No mtn app on my phone.
What i dont understand is that i have the mtn sim card in my router, its a data only contract, my phone is on telkom but uses the router for internet but no mtn sim card or mtn software in my phone.
:unsure:

eehellfire

Honorary Master
No mtn app on my phone.
What i dont understand is that i have the mtn sim card in my router, its a data only contract, my phone is on telkom but uses the router for internet but no mtn sim card or mtn software in my phone.
:unsure:
I got this message today - also haven't changed anything with respect to MTN app, nor have I subscribed in any way (never mind double opt-in).
I did unsubscribe via USSD, but I've also reported MTN to WASPA.
Suggest that you do the same: https://waspa.org.za/report-unwanted-billing/

kennedym

I got this message today - also haven't changed anything with respect to MTN app, nor have I subscribed in any way (never mind double opt-in).
Thanks for that, i have submitted to waspa.

I have read some reviews in the playstore about their dodgy app and the way it bills to many peoples surprise.
I don't even have anything installed, never have. I just have a sim card in my router, that's it, super simple, so I suspect some under the table actions here, still waiting for them to provide feedback.

I decided to terminate the contract with MTN. MTN is just below par, tons of dodgy marketing sms's + this issue, no thanks.
Regrettable decision signing up with them, I just want out now, lol :eek:

eehellfire

Honorary Master
After unsubscribing, MTN kindly resubscribed me (obviously no double opt-in) and kindly charged me R3 a day until I had no airtime left for them to deduct.
Now, obviously, it's a major fight to get them to refund.

skimread

Executive Member
This just happened to me. Got an SMS out the blue saying I subscribed to Gamer+ at R3 per day.

Midnights_Ghost

This just happened to me. Got an SMS out the blue saying I subscribed to Gamer+ at R3 per day.
Same happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I got all PRS blocked through the MTN USSD on my main sim. I called the call centre, they told me there is no services enabled and its blocked. Two days later I see my balance depleting. I called again spoke to someone more helpful and they said they found that Gamer+ hidden in the subscription services and they cant explain how it got there. The rep escalated it and the following day the charges stopped.

They got me for about 7 days before the charges stopped. I think MTN doesnt really care about blocking it since that's money in their pockets.

kennedym

Wow I'm amazed that this is still an issue. It's not like MTN doesn't know about it.

Armizael

Just received the same sms - had to also go manually unsubscribe, even though I haven't signed up for it at all.

James 77

Happened to me as well, I have a data contract (dongle) plugged into my pc and only noticed a week later when I checked the usage for interest's sake. Struggled for 2 weeks to cancel and they charged for 2 subscription services, R7 per day. It's atrocious

cavedog

Honorary Master
*141*5# Option 2 then set PRS spend limit yo R0.

Premium content is now blocked.

Cirala

Just as an added precaution dial *155# and block/cancel & set spend limits to zero.
Check every 6 months or so, definitely if you upgrade your contract, as it seems to magically revert back to ON with large spend limits!!
1594728560470.png

Last edited: