MTN Black Friday Discussions

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
people, anyone manage to upgrade to the 199 package by calling retentions ?

airborne

Honorary Master
I couldnt enable it so after logging a ticket I was told you can't have both services simultaneously. I'll find the email
Seeing the basic data bundles on these packages are so much higher another prepaid sim added as a Datashare will work as well as a dual sim.

I'm busy upgrading and the lady said only the package is being upgraded they don't change the dualsim settings.

MTN is most likely using this opportunity to remove the dual call sims from customers who are renewing
Another poster said his worked after upgrading so hopefully they do still work.

airborne

Honorary Master
Has everyone been charged the R105 upgrade fee, I was when doing my upgrade in store, tried refusing but no dice.

ebendl

Expert Member
Has everyone been charged the R105 upgrade fee, I was when doing my upgrade in store, tried refusing but no dice.

This is the first time in 2 weeks of BF and CyberMonday speculation that I've heard about this.

xtc-zn

Retentions initially offer you the 20G+20G (10G + 10G + promo 10G + 10G) for R149, I told them I heard the same deal is R99 for existing BF customers...agent asked me to hold and got back to me and confirmed I can upgrade to the 20G+20G for R99...so I basically got R50 off the deal they offered by telling them I saw it for R99. Long wait at retentions but the call is free if you calling from your MTN number and well worth it if you know all the deals available to BF customers.

moedawood

Wasn’t aware retentions offered deals. Anyways. I took the R 149 20GB + 10GB deal. My dual call still works after the upgrade.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Yay almost sorted.

They loaded missing prorate night express, they phoned me and will be adding the normal night express, as well as changing the expiry date of those missing bundles.Bad form from MTN that it had to be escalated in such a manner, I did apologize for having to resort to such extreme measures to have a relative simple support escalation brought to their attention they actually thanked me, for doing so.

Great, the bigger question why did it happen in the first place, and how will you fix it.

PPogba

Retentions initially offer you the 20G+20G (10G + 10G + promo 10G + 10G) for R149, I told them I heard the same deal is R99 for existing BF customers...agent asked me to hold and got back to me and confirmed I can upgrade to the 20G+20G for R99...so I basically got R50 off the deal they offered by telling them I saw it for R99. Long wait at retentions but the call is free if you calling from your MTN number and well worth it if you know all the deals available to BF customers.
Currently on hold on 135 for 10min, lets see if I am as lucky as you with the R99 offer

Leisure Larry

Same deal. Better priced @ retentions

So are the R99 and R149 deals the same (apart from the cost, obviously), or does the R99 one have less data?
IIRC the R149 deal is 10GB + 10GB night + promo 10GB + promo 10GB night (so effectively 20GB + 20GB night)

shamalh108

Does anyone have any certainty around the validity of the BF2016 upgrade deals? Some said till today, some till end of November, and now till February 2019.

uzairb

Still haven’t renewed my 3 BF2016 lines.

The Retentions team took my details on Friday said they will try to get the 40gb+40gb plus 600min @ R199. Was told will get a call by this week Tuesday.
Called today to follow up, retentions said they have not received feedback as yet.
Will call daily to follow up, not going to renew till they provide a response

Soapy_Bubbles

You sure this is the case? The guy I asked at the MTN store said these were "data only" sims and the only way one can make calls is if they load prepaid. No way to load a monthly minutes bundle or be billed by your credit limit. I specifically asked about those options.

Anyone else know if this is possible?

I did

Speedster

Honorary Master
Wasn’t aware retentions offered deals. Anyways. I took the R 149 20GB + 10GB deal. My dual call still works after the upgrade.
My dual sim has died. It shows no data / minutes available while the primary sim seems to be working 100%

Speedster

Honorary Master
So bummed I missed this. I took the R149 deal