MTN Black Friday Discussions

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I received a call and I was a bit rude ... they started off saying my contract was due for an upgrade, and told me I was paying R169 for the 10+10 etc and now the prices have dropped to R149 and that I will be getting 10 + 10 + 10. I got a bit rude because I queried if "I will now be paying" (she used the phrase) R149 for the current contract without agreeing for a further 24 months, their call pitch is setup cunningly to string you along to accepting somewhat automatically.

I told her to make it clear upfront to the next customer she phones that it is another 24 months, not just that they will be now paying the reduced price. Maybe it is just me being silly?

azbob

Honorary Master
I received a call and I was a bit rude ... they started off saying my contract was due for an upgrade, and told me I was paying R169 for the 10+10 etc and now the prices have dropped to R149 and that I will be getting 10 + 10 + 10. I got a bit rude because I queried if "I will now be paying" (she used the phrase) R149 for the current contract without agreeing for a further 24 months, their call pitch is setup cunningly to string you along to accepting somewhat automatically.

I told her to make it clear upfront to the next customer she phones that it is another 24 months, not just that they will be now paying the reduced price. Maybe it is just me being silly?

You were rude. If you don’t explicitly cancel, it continues on month to month.

dlevine

You were rude. If you don’t explicitly cancel, it continues on month to month.
but not with the bonus data, bonus minutes etc etc etc. That then gets charged at normal rates. So can get a nice surprise when the bill comes.

Stevewarren

but not with the bonus data, bonus minutes etc etc etc. That then gets charged at normal rates. So can get a nice surprise when the bill comes.
It's this that's got me panicking a bit. The lady said they will have deals for me tomorrow. I hope they do because my contract technically ends tomorrow.

akescpt

Honorary Master
The promo falls away and you get the normal price. I’m hoping to upgrade before my date. The totals without promo is scary.

Mshaikh20846

It's this that's got me panicking a bit. The lady said they will have deals for me tomorrow. I hope they do because my contract technically ends tomorrow.
Also expecting a phone call tomorrow....fingers crossed....mine is suppose to end today but the lady said on her side it shows the 27th

ebendl

Expert Member
I can confirm that my contract where I got 20GB a month for free ended in Aug, and instead of the 20GB bundle falling away, ir was charged at R600/R500-something a month.

So yes, your bill will likely jump quite a bit. I would monitor it very closely.

I'm now month 2 month, buying ad hoc bundles until a proper BF deal comes along.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I would rather pay the high month to month price once, than miss out on a deal. Supposing it is R400 more than my current contract, that basically is R17/month more on my current deal, which was decent enough to stomach - I can bargain with myself to accept it as part of a balloon payment on a good deal.

If I get locked in to their average deal now, and they (or Telkom, CellC, or even the Vodascum) pull out a showstopper then I would be kicking myself for some time. Btw does Vodacom 100% respect spend limits on data, or do they still pull the fast one?

marioat1

Expert Member
Mine is R4970 :( no way I'm paying that, technically my contract only ends tomorrow if they don't have good deals I will cancel.
You still need to give a months notice to cancel as per your contract agreement.
I canceled 1 contract a month ago and yesterday it moved onto prepaid.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
All I want for black Friday is for mtn to stop spamming me with their overpriced unreasonable offers.
And yes done *135# and all set on no.