MTN Black Friday Discussions

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I got a rebate of R499 after complaining to JacquiO.
Still annoyed because I haven't been able to use any of my data since taking out the contract with DataShare not working (Contract is on my main number and data sharing to SIM in router) - so just pissed gigs away.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
I got a rebate of R499 after complaining to JacquiO.
Still annoyed because I haven't been able to use any of my data since taking out the contract with DataShare not working (Contract is on my main number and data sharing to SIM in router) - so just pissed gigs away.

yeah same here

we have so much data left over cos my sister who uses the 2nd sim had to buy data

JustinB

I just wanted to give a rundown about my terrible experience trying to renew my BF contracts. I'll try be as short as possible.

I called in on the 23rd, spoke to Sibusiso, agreed to upgrade my one contract to the the 100gbx24m @ R299, and the other to a contract with 750 min and 25.5gb x 24m (sim only). In the call, I recapped this explicitly at least once. I was told I'd get a SMS when the upgrades were processed.

After 2 days of no SMS, i called in and was informed of a backlog. I called in once a week thereafter until eventually Sibosiso called me on 23 Dec. He then claimed there was no such contract, to which I requested he pull the call recording - he said he would, and he'd call me the next day. Of course that never happened.

On 18 Jan, I finally gave up and emailed Jacqui, who then got Precious to phone me. I had to repeat the whole story, she said she'd get the recording and call me at the end of the week. Again, that never happened.

Today I call and speak to Sibusiso again, who now tells me the recording cannot be retrieved, and as such, they cannot help me...

Apart from the absolutely shocking service and lack of feedback, while this has been happening, my one contract has expired and gone onto prepaid (maybe a blessing though?), and I've missed any opportunity to get any of the BF deals from MTN or elsewhere.

Anyhow, the rant has helped me feel better at least...

electrix

MTN is giving R250 rebates per invoice received on the 500GB+500GB packages that have issues with Datashare.
I'm very impressed with MTN's Service.

Hey is the the same datashare issue with regards to the depletion rules as stated in their tncs?

I noticed that my sharable data got depleted first (with majority of data use done on primary sim, which should have depleted from my promo data).

When i logged the fault in with the callcenter i was advised i dont have “promo data”.

abzob

Honorary Master
Ok I got my credit for the datashare issue. Will only be resolved after the 9th.

84ca5f5e-aad6-499b-8dc7-a3181eb086c0.jpg

airborne

Honorary Master
I just wanted to give a rundown about my terrible experience trying to renew my BF contracts. I'll try be as short as possible.

I called in on the 23rd, spoke to Sibusiso, agreed to upgrade my one contract to the the 100gbx24m @ R299, and the other to a contract with 750 min and 25.5gb x 24m (sim only). In the call, I recapped this explicitly at least once. I was told I'd get a SMS when the upgrades were processed.

After 2 days of no SMS, i called in and was informed of a backlog. I called in once a week thereafter until eventually Sibosiso called me on 23 Dec. He then claimed there was no such contract, to which I requested he pull the call recording - he said he would, and he'd call me the next day. Of course that never happened.

On 18 Jan, I finally gave up and emailed Jacqui, who then got Precious to phone me. I had to repeat the whole story, she said she'd get the recording and call me at the end of the week. Again, that never happened.

Today I call and speak to Sibusiso again, who now tells me the recording cannot be retrieved, and as such, they cannot help me...

Apart from the absolutely shocking service and lack of feedback, while this has been happening, my one contract has expired and gone onto prepaid (maybe a blessing though?), and I've missed any opportunity to get any of the BF deals from MTN or elsewhere.

Collect as many important MTN people's email addresses incl the people who dropped the ball and CC them all on an email outlining what you have just said and illustrating politely how useless MTN is.

That normally gets the unhelpful as.shats into gear.

upup

Executive Member
I had a manager, when he see you email the world to complain, he deleted my mail, every time

tattoo002

Hey is the the same datashare issue with regards to the depletion rules as stated in their tncs?

I noticed that my sharable data got depleted first (with majority of data use done on primary sim, which should have depleted from my promo data).

When i logged the fault in with the callcenter i was advised i dont have “promo data”.
This rebate is for some contracts not able to Datashare at all, as was stipulated in the contract T&C's
It's mainly for the 500GB+500GB data only BF deal.

tattoo002

Go through this thread, and email some guys from retention. They would be able to help you.

I am fairly happy with MTN's service, you just need to contact people on tier two to get results.

uzairb

What was the cost of the 750min and 25gb.. x 24month contract?

uzairb

If you are really keen to get one of the BF deals, I suggest you maintain your stance that you should be given what you had been offered or very close to it. You would more than likely eventually win... requires considerable amount of time chasing them.

JustinB

Collect as many important MTN people's email addresses incl the people who dropped the ball and CC them all on an email outlining what you have just said and illustrating politely how useless MTN is.

Go through this thread, and email some guys from retention. They would be able to help you.

I am fairly happy with MTN's service, you just need to contact people on tier two to get results.

Yup - that's what i did yesterday. Jacqui has responded to acknowledged receipt.

What was the cost of the 750min and 25gb.. x 24month contract?
R349 pm (sim only)
If you are really keen to get one of the BF deals, I suggest you maintain your stance that you should be given what you had been offered or very close to it. You would more than likely eventually win... requires considerable amount of time chasing them.
Well, i had hoped that the call recording would be the last of it, and they would then honour it. I will continue to maintain my stance until the other contract expires, and if not resolved, i guess i will switch MNOs...

Space

In the meantime, get Air Mobile pure LTE from Afrihost on the SIM that went prepaid - 1 GB of free data per month

Last edited:

Zedwhy123

This is the response that I received this morning from MTN

Good Afternoon,

Please note that the deployment date for the data share fix has been moved out from the 31st January 2021.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It is now scheduled for the 9th February 2021.

Space

Quick question,

I signed a black Friday special with mtn on the sky package for R499, back in 2019

Once i upgrade or do sim only after 24months, do they revert me back to the normal pricing ??
Definitely. Sometimes even reverts to full price a month or 2 before the 24 months are over !

Space

So I’ve been tracking this for 60 days and it’s been a real shtshow. Incompetence to the nth degree.

Today I made a break through though...unblocked my account, got my main data SIM working again and have 3 new lines queued for a port.
care to share how you accomplished this ?

ebendl

Expert Member
So I got a call from MTN today about my one black Friday contract (the made for me XS, with the 50GB Black Friday special), due to "a migration of contracts to new contracts". The lady made it seem as if it was standard MTN business and assured me that I would keep my BF special bundle. Contract terms stays the same but I would pay less and get more minutes.

However I now see that it is Mobiles Plus who have processed my order and thus not MTN at all. They didn't mention who they are once (I have a partial recording of the terms and conditions). They mentioned a cool-off period as well which just make it all the more weird.

I'm seriously concerned that I'm about to lose my Black Friday special due to some stupid sales lady.

Has anybody heard about them? Can another authorized online reseller just "migrate your contract" to a different contract type and what does that even mean?

Is there somewhere in MTN where I can stop this processing from occurring?

airborne

Honorary Master
So I got a call from MTN today about my one black Friday contract (the made for me XS, with the 50GB Black Friday special), due to "a migration of contracts to new contracts". The lady made it seem as if it was standard MTN business and assured me that I would keep my BF special bundle. Contract terms stays the same but I would pay less and get more minutes.

However I now see that it is Mobiles Plus who have processed my order and thus not MTN at all. They didn't mention who they are once (I have a partial recording of the terms and conditions). They mentioned a cool-off period as well which just make it all the more weird.

I'm seriously concerned that I'm about to lose my Black Friday special due to some stupid sales lady.

Has anybody heard about them? Can another authorized online reseller just "migrate your contract" to a different contract type and what does that even mean?

Is there somewhere in MTN where I can stop this processing from occurring?

That does sound weird, I would also be worried they have done something that has moved you off the BF deal.

With those 3rd party companies they normally only contract out to them for sales, not maintenance on existing contracts.

I'd email Jacqui, email earlier in this thread, her office seems very responsive.

ebendl

Expert Member
That does sound weird, I would also be worried they have done something that has moved you off the BF deal.

With those 3rd party companies they normally only contract out to them for sales, not maintenance on existing contracts.

I'd email Jacqui, email earlier in this thread, her office seems very responsive.

Thanks, will email her.

I phoned MTN this morning, they don't see any orders pending on my account. Will probably phone again next week to see if they might have booked it late.

Also phoned Mobiles Plus, they didn't really protest -- just said they would send an email to MTN to cancel it (which sounds fairly useless to me). But they knew about the order etc. so it definitely is them.