MTN Black Friday Discussions

airborne

Honorary Master
If we arent happy with these above 5% increases, can we cancel our contracts without penalty?

EDIT: Ive called MTN to ask. They are escalating my query because the agent confirmed it isnt in line with the 5% communication.

I tried asking 3 times yesterday via the Callcentre and each time I asked they promptly cut me off..
Are you also on the R499 500gb bf deal?

Ramiro1993

It's possible, I can share 10GB on my telkom 2TB deal.
Hi Cool

So it did indeed transfer data to a random prepaid smartbroadband wireless sim I have. Transferred 1GB and its working perfectly no issues!!! Well done Cool nice spot!!!

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
mine is currently R1100 for 3 contracts - 2 R499 and 1 R99

the new bill they sent me is R1235

how they come up with this i dont know

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I tried asking 3 times yesterday via the Callcentre and each time I asked they promptly cut me off..
Are you also on the R499 500gb bf deal?
No im on a Sky R499 package. It was a 2020 Black Friday retention offer.
But it seems it has the same issue where the list price is R999 so increased to R1049.
So the same R50 increase applied to me but at R499 to R549.
The R50 increase isnt terrible but its the principle of MTN needs to stick to their word of approximately 5% increases. 10% is double 5%. They took a shortcut sending everyone an sms with a link to a webpage that doesnt list all the contract items. Therefore I feel like I should even be increased because my package doesnt line up with what they listed.

The call centre closed my ticket late yesterday afternoon and no one called me back. So Im a bit annoyed. Going to call in the next few hours when I get a chance to get feedback.

Ive checked my contract and from what I can see, they are in breach of contract so I need to allow them 20 business days to rectify. Then I might potentially just cancel and refuse to pay the penalty because they are in breach. I can get a better deal from afrihost prepaid and I dont need datashare so Im happy to end the contract.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
stop wasting time calling

email jackie or have a mtn contact
Im just trying to follow the process because I dont want to be one of those people who throws his toys out the cot for no reason. However after my last call Im getting close to wanting to contact jacquio if she is still there.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
Im just trying to follow the process because I dont want to be one of those people who throws his toys out the cot for no reason. However after my last call Im getting close to wanting to contact jacquio if she is still there.

everyone has an issue the more we mail jacqui the better

wizardofid

Executive Member
Mybroadband has an article now regarding the price increase.
yeah not happy with that response. However much I like MTN, they pulled a fast one.We should investigate, what MTN worded and said, and beat the shyte out of them, there is zero mention of base price, it has an average of 5%

Annual subscription price review: 2022​

MTN implements its Annual Subscription Price Review for 2022.
Effective from 1st May 2022, MTN will be increasing its subscription prices for a subset of contract (post-paid) customers. The subscription adjustment will be effective on the customers billing cycle.

The inflationary environment which has significantly contributed to increased input costs has compelled MTN to react to market pressures. We have tried to keep the price adjustments to a minimum in a bid to provide our customers with quality telecommunications services as cost-effectively as possible. The tariffs will be an average adjustment by 5%, which is in line with inflation and comparable to the market.

At MTN, we have invested heavily in our network to offer our customers the speeds and coverage, we know you expect. Our products are focused on adding value to you and we will keep finding ways to make your connectivity as efficient and cost effective as possible.
Thank you for your loyalty and for your business. We will continue working to deliver you the best possible experience and service, through every interaction you have with us.

My package is mtn nochoice 100, which clearly shows R25.00 increase. THERE is zero mention of base price changes. I got a retention deal of MTN nochoice 100gig with extra data for R299.00. With the increase it is Now R347.00 which make ZERO effing sense. This discounted and base price crap came after the fact. A good lawyer would have a field day with how they worded it and how contradictory the website is with what they have.

I should be paying R26 more but double that, FK you MTN you taking a piss and I hope someone with more time on their hands, bends you over and shoves that 5% up your ass.

mtnnochoice.jpg

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
an update i got after raising the issue

Good day,

The 5% price increase is calculated on the base price of your subscription and not on your BF discounted price.

Base price for example R1000 and after BF discount you pay R300, so the 5% price increase is on the base price R1000 and not on R300.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
our subscription is the discounted price they dont mention base price and all that

airborne

Honorary Master
our subscription is the discounted price they dont mention base price and all that

Where do they have contractual proof that our monthly rate is based off a discounted base rate?

Discount is marketing speak, “normally” R399 now R199 but the R399 value is not reality and totally immaterial, the reality is we are prepared to offer R199 for 10GB, end of story.

I don’t recall my contract stating a base rate that was being discounted and they can’t now retroactively thumbsuck a base rate and then say that’s what we are using.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
i got a response below after telling them im paying R499 and not R1100 or whatever

Good day,

The billing team are investigating this, feedback will be provided ASAP.