MTN Black Friday Discussions

Just to warn everyone who has a BF contract ending…. My bill for 3 2020 BF (+- 170*2 plus +- 350 = 690pm) just jumped to showing an outsanding amount of R2,732
I phoned the call centre, to be told it is just a mistake.
I then visited my local MTN franchise branch, and the manager logged into the accounts and chnaged them to month-to-month.

So, voice one’s came down from 147.23 (excl) to 114.34 (excl) BUT the 50gb (50 day 50 nights) one has shot up (without any promo (was 100gb day/100gb night) from (sm says was 299.00 to a whopping 1,818.00 per month

If this is the way MTN wants to retain customers, it is going to chase the customers away.

I am going to take a while to calm myself down, at which time I am going to rethink my relationship with MTN.

I remember having to email “JacqueO’Sullivan 36 months ago to to have a similar debacle sorted… the (at the time) great BF deals kept me there (and problem invoices reversed) but this year’s (the ones published) leave much to be desired.

As an aside, I actually did upgrade one via the casl centre last week. It was the 106.00 pm one BUT instead of saying 4gb day / 4GBVR night plus 10gb day promo / 10 gb night promo (and shareable only the base data (4gb) I was assured, when I specifically asked if all 28gb is shareabl, that YES all data is shareable. My visit to the branch (fortunately) burst my bubble. I had 15,5 gb so going to 28 did make sense at the time.
I will give an update once I have feedback.

Last edited:
I may be corrected but the mtn sales / retentions are run by Ignition call centre
Correct, The Ignition Group and they are as useless and deceitful as they come, step very carefully around retentions upgrades and while you are on the call confirm the details of everything verbally with the consultant, repeat it back to them, so if they stuff it up they can pull the call and you have proof of whatever was claimed.

Just to warn everyone who has a BF contract ending…. My bill for 3 2020 BF (+- 170*2 plus +- 350 = 690pm) just jumped to showing an outsanding amount of R2,732
I phoned the call centre, to be told it is just a mistake.
I then visited my local MTN franchise branch, and the manager logged into the accounts and chnaged them to month-to-month.

So, voice one’s came down from 147.23 (excl) to 114.34 (excl) BUT the 50gb (50 day 50 nights) one has shot up (without any promo (was 100gb day/100gb night) from (sm says was 299.00 to a whopping 1,818.00 per month

If this is the way MTN wants to retain customers, it is going to chase the customers away.

I am going to take a while to calm myself down, at which time I am going to rethink my relationship with MTN.

I remember having to email “JacqueO’Sullivan 36 months ago to to have a similar debacle sorted… the (at the time) great BF deals kept me there (and problem invoices reversed) but this year’s (the ones published) leave much to be desired.

As an aside, I actually did upgrade one via the casl centre last week. It was the 106.00 pm one BUT instead of saying 4gb day / 4GBVR night plus 10gb day promo / 10 gb night promo (and shareable only the base data (4gb) I was assured, when I specifically asked if all 28gb is shareabl, that YES all data is shareable. My visit to the branch (fortunately) burst my bubble. I had 15,5 gb so going to 28 did make sense at the time.
I will give an update once I have feedback.
sigh not this crap again. was really a mess in 2020.

thank you for the warning

sigh not this crap again. was really a mess in 2020.

thank you for the warning
Pleasure.

So I went to the White River MTN branch (it is a franchise branch owned Cosmonet - the staff have tried their best toms
assist me) this morning they printed the 2023/11/17 invoice and the ”My MTNChoice 50GB” price went from (2023/10/17 invoice) R260.00 excl to R 1,564.35 excl AND suddenly “Itemised Billing” has been added at R 16.52 excl, totalling 1,580.87 excl.

I asked why nothing was communicated to me and they could not say why (I have been checking the router device’s SMS and nothing)

They also could not show me that package on their system. The fact that one can get 200GB on a month-to-month ”contract” for R399.00 makes my brain hurt.

I was reminded again that I could not have cancelled the contract before it ended (16th) so, now, after 3 days, I have cancelled it, BUT the invoice and payment due remains at R 1,818.00 (from R332.25) incl.

I imagine the only way to have made this problem go away, was to take an upgrade, which I was not willing to do today.

I will be mailing Jacque O’Sullivan again like I did three years ago and I hope the email address still works.

It really grates me that one is forced into another contract, or one must pay an exorbitant amount for a month (or two, as one would only notice this when the invoice arrives in the e-mail at month-end.

I have still have the other two number, that fortunately did not magically increased. I will be cancelling and porting them if I don’t get a satisfactory answer.

Last edited:
They do have a MTN sky silver with 4500mins, that's one of the contracts I took. R550 for 90gb, 4500mins, unlimited MTN to MTN calls, 400 sms's a day
Do you have the deal code? I’m interested in this deal.

How is the 90gb data allocated?

Received an sms for this option
2023218CT00006CVM - Mega Gigs L 500min 25gb data R199pm x18
I'm currently on Made for Me (M) and get 400mins + 43gb data on a BF deal from 2021 and paying R354pm
I am due to upgrade but I reckon if the deals aren't better by Friday I'm gonna switch to month to month and look at alternatives.

Received an sms for this option
2023218CT00006CVM - Mega Gigs L 500min 25gb data R199pm x18
I'm currently on Made for Me (M) and get 400mins + 43gb data on a BF deal from 2021 and paying R354pm
I am due to upgrade but I reckon if the deals aren't better by Friday I'm gonna switch to month to month and look at alternatives.
You should always check with retentions. The correspendence from MTN regarding deals has never to this day beaten retentions.

You should always check with retentions. The correspendence from MTN regarding deals has never to this day beaten retentions.
Thanks for the advice so I called retentions and got offered a sim only deal
225 anytime mins + 52gb for 213.00pm x 36
The standard structure of the deal is 125min but I said I wasn't happy as 125mins is too little so he probably spoke to a manager and they added another 100mins so it seems they are flexible but I suppose once BF hits and they get insanely busy things will change..
Cant give a deal code since he said its not a standard package

Thanks for the advice so I called retentions and got offered a sim only deal
225 anytime mins + 52gb for 213.00pm x 36
The standard structure of the deal is 125min but I said I wasn't happy as 125mins is too little so he probably spoke to a manager and they added another 100mins so it seems they are flexible but I suppose once BF hits and they get insanely busy things will change..
Cant give a deal code since he said its not a standard package
What number did you call ?

I'm getting terrible options from the standard 135 support

I have a bit of a different question. Maybe not completely related to this thread. The following available from VODACOM
1700469149513.png

Do they still lock the phones to only work on certain network or will I be able to take this deal and run dual sim with my MTN upgraded contract?

I have a bit of a different question. Maybe not completely related to this thread. The following available from VODACOM
View attachment 1620791

Do they still lock the phones to only work on certain network or will I be able to take this deal and run dual sim with my MTN upgraded contract?

sometimes voda locks phones so have to check with them

if it isnt locked your mtn sim will work in a dual sim phone

Back