MTN breaches their own rules? Refuse to cancel my contract.

b1scu1t

This is the letter I sent to ICASA, Consumer Protection Act Tribunal and MTN.
A similar complaint was submitted on hellopeter.com

I do implore anyone to stay away from MTN. Read on and you'll see why.

I am unable to receive phone calls when on 2G, since 8 DECEMBER 2010,
due to a MTN 'network feature' that isnt enabled.

Firstly, for the record, MTN claims they will cancel a contract if
they confirm there is a problem with their network in the subscriber's
area.

After 4 months, I finally managed to log a complaint about this issue
and get MTN to investigate it. This was on 19 April 2011
4 weeks later, a 'William Makola' and a colleague 'Daniel' came to
assess my area.
William contacted me on 25 May 2011 to confirm that there is in fact a
'network feature' not enabled and this is causing phone calls to be
rejected.
He said that MTN will not enable this feature and my only solution
would be to turn 3G on, as he won't allow cancellation, even though
both William and Daniel did confirm before commencing investigation,
they can in fact give permission for cancellation if they are not able
to resolve this issue.

This proposed 'solution' cannot work for my needs.
It's not at all remotely close to a resolution, as I am still unable
to receive phone calls when on 2G.
I have no need whatsoever for faster data speeds on my mobile phone,
that's why people prefer ADSL connection as it is faster, much stabler
and far less expensive than mobile 3G on a cellular phone.
Battery life is also too severely impacted by 3G usage, by as much as
50%, which is unacceptable and is why I exclusively use 2G.
In addition to this, 3G reception is very unstable in this area and
too weak to keep a constant connection.

I do believe MTN is breaching their own rules in order to keep my
contract active.
It is my right as a consumer to operate my R8400 iPhone in any way I
choose (still being within their T&C) and if their inferior network
cannot accommodate my perfectly reasonable needs (being able to
receive voice calls while on 2G) then they have no right to keep me
bound to this contract, after they have been found to be guilty of
their own terms for contract termination.

They purposefully fail to mention this major problem to everyone
before you sign a contract as no one would knowingly sign a contract
with a mobile operator if they have known beforehand they won't be
able to receive phone calls.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Perhaps try contacting NQC via PM & see if they can't help you resolve the problem...

Crowley

Executive Member
Now what would be more trouble? Turning your 3G on or taking MTN to court because you are being a baby?

b1scu1t

Now what would be more trouble? Turning your 3G on or taking MTN to court because you are being a baby?
If you had the kind of 3G reception I have you would also have a problem.
I literally have to put my phone down on a table and leave it there to keep 2 bars!
Picking it up and moving it makes it switch to EDGE!

So does 3G sound like an option?

Crowley

Executive Member
William contacted me on 25 May 2011 to confirm that there is in fact a
'network feature' not enabled and this is causing phone calls to be
rejected.
He said that MTN will not enable this feature and my only solution
would be to turn 3G on,
As far as I could understand it your reception problems would be a thing of the past if you switched 3G on not so?

Voldemort

Death eater
Oh, i know full well of this complaint actually, even know your name- myself and one of my colleagues actually made suggestions to William that could assist you with your complaint, but yeah, you were totally defiant on the matter, made your bed and lie on it man, good luck with that complaint.

b1scu1t

As far as I could understand it your reception problems would be a thing of the past if you switched 3G on not so?
....? Getting 3G reception IS one of the problems....
Like I said, the phone needs to lie still on a table to have 2 BARS and then it still sometimes switches to EDGE.
I actually only have 1 bar at this moment.
Exactly who would be willing to pay R429p/m for 24 months, for a fancy paperweight.

In 5 months' time, I tried using 3G more enough times to know it's not working out all too well.

If it did work, then I wouldn't have been in this predicament....?
Every thing is so much easier said than done.

I'm not the only one experiencing this. The only 2 people I know, also on MTN, that lives in the same area are having the exact same problems.

b1scu1t

Oh, i know full well of this complaint actually, even know your name- myself and one of my colleagues actually made suggestions to William that could assist you with your complaint, but yeah, you were totally defiant on the matter, made your bed and lie on it man, good luck with that complaint.
Totally defiant....
So I should just accept the fact that people cannot phone me, Please call me request get rejected, and smses even get delayed for a couple of hours at times and then just pay R10296 in total for this contract.

You say defiant as if it is unreasonable of me to expect some kind of benefit from spending R2145+, thus far.
He did "suggest" I turn on 3G, but I told him and Daniel, it's not possible to KEEP a 3G connection active.
I cannot put that in more simple terms.
The 3G connection is plainly too weak, so the phone switches itself to EDGE and it surely doesn't switch back to 3G real fast.

If he or anybody else can provide a way to keep the 3G connection active 80% of the time, or at least 50%, then that would change things quite a bit.
Being unable to provide such a solution, their suggestions don't really resolve the issue of not being able to receive voice calls.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I think you are confusing 3G Signal with 3G Data connectivity.

There is a difference.

Your phone will not use more power if it is connected via a 3G reception signal or 2G for that matter. Only when you use the modem in your phone to browse the internet will you experience battery drainage faster on 3G than 2G, but not even a few minutes more at the least to be honest (I've tested Edge whole day and HSDPA on MTN and there is a minute difference in battery life).

So to come back to your problem.

Which Iphone do you have? The Iphone 4 or the 3G Iphone?
Maybe you need to a case for the phone since it could suffer from the signal leakage issue that is documented online?

Which area are you?

Voldemort

Death eater
Hmmm, maybe i should let the others in on this whole situation so as not to paint an even further bad light on this whole thing. Your complaint was that whilst you are active data wise you were not recieving calls, sms's etc- 1st suggestion (from my colleague) was to set your data connection to sync the mails every set amount of time as opposed to all the time, reason for this is because there is a feature called dual mode transfer protocol (dmtp), which is not activated on the tower and will not be activated as this liscence costs a great deal of money just so that you can play with your phone.
Secondly, my suggestion was to cancel your dormant applications(my suggestion cause one does not just close an application by pressing the back button...), one can do that by going into settings, manage applications and properly ending applications that are still running, not just blaming the 3G network for accelerating the demise of your battery life.
Both the co ordinator and the area planner were at your house to confirm this and have logfiles, so like i said, good luck in your endeavours.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Now that changes the picture a lil.

There is no point in being willfully spiteful & behaving like a spoilt brat & then throwing your toys out the cot.

b1scu1t

I think you are confusing 3G Signal with 3G Data connectivity.

There is a difference.

Your phone will not use more power if it is connected via a 3G reception signal or 2G for that matter. Only when you use the modem in your phone to browse the internet will you experience battery drainage faster on 3G than 2G, but not even a few minutes more at the least to be honest (I've tested Edge whole day and HSDPA on MTN and there is a minute difference in battery life).

So to come back to your problem.

Which Iphone do you have? The Iphone 4 or the 3G Iphone?
Maybe you need to a case for the phone since it could suffer from the signal leakage issue that is documented online?

Which area are you?
The battery drainage is unfortunately not that polite.
Even more unfortunately it still doesn't help getting a stronger 3G signal.

I do have a bumper for my iPhone 4.
Every device loses some signal when holding it or during every day use, moving around, covering the antennas during normal use, etc.
I put the the phone down on a table and I only get 1 or 2 bars. When I pick it up and start using it as I would normally, the phone switches to EDGE. If I'm very lucky it just loses one bar and stays there for a couple more moments before switching.

I'm PTA North.

steel_dog

Hmmm, maybe i should let the others in on this whole situation so as not to paint an even further bad light on this whole thing. Your complaint was that whilst you are active data wise you were not recieving calls, sms's etc- 1st suggestion (from my colleague) was to set your data connection to sync the mails every set amount of time as opposed to all the time, reason for this is because there is a feature called dual mode transfer protocol (dmtp), which is not activated on the tower and will not be activated as this liscence costs a great deal of money just so that you can play with your phone.
Secondly, my suggestion was to cancel your dormant applications(my suggestion cause one does not just close an application by pressing the back button...), one can do that by going into settings, manage applications and properly ending applications that are still running, not just blaming the 3G network for accelerating the demise of your battery life.
Both the co ordinator and the area planner were at your house to confirm this and have logfiles, so like i said, good luck in your endeavours.
Dude explain this to us plebs... you mean that while running 2g you can't be accessing data AND receive voice calls / SMS's at the same time???

Last edited:

b1scu1t

Yes that is exactly my complaint.
Now, put in simple terms, the thing about smartphones is that there are small connections going on in the background in order to provide features such as push notifications, amongst other things.
So testing it out, I put my phone in sleep, and I constantly try to make a voice call to my phone for 8 minutes before getting through. I phoned 17 times before getting through.
It is in fact random. Sometimes you get through on the first try, sometimes people tried phoning for DAYS before getting through to me.

Is it that unreasonable to say this is not acceptable?
If it was one or two calls every now and then, yes then I would've just forgot about it, but it isn't just one or two calls.

I don't think you understand how an iPhone's multitasking works.
On other phones, "dormant" applications still use battery power. The "true multitasking" some people like about Android devices amongst others such as my previous phone, a SE Satio.
There is not Settings-Manage Applications on an iPhone. To end it you double tap the Home button and see all background applications.
An iPhone "suspends" an app and it does not use futher battery power.
That's the benefit of the "not-true-multitasking" of the iPhone.

Voldemort

Death eater
Dude explain this to us plebs... you mean that while running 3g you can't be accessing data AND receive voice calls / SMS's at the same time???
Read the thread carefully- hes locked his phone on 2G. Remember that timeslots are allocated for calls sms and data transfer. what happens with data on 2G is that it is transferred in 20kb increments until it has reached the desired end source, then the code is translated as an end result and given to your phone. the towers of old could differentiate the 2, but lemme put it like this- when you have 3 lanes of traffic in your car all travelling at the same speed and damn sanral goes and reduces the lanes to 2 all the cars have to make exception, thereby slowing, if not incapacitating traffic in order for it to flow through to the end result.

Voldemort

Death eater
People buy smartphones for a reason, and push notifications is just one of the reasons why people get them.

I don't think you understand how an iPhone's multitasking works.
On other phones, "dormant" applications still use battery power. The "true multitasking" some people like about Android devices amongst others such as my previous phone, a SE Satio.
There is not Settings-Manage Applications on an iPhone. To end it you double tap the Home button and see all background applications.
An iPhone "suspends" an app and it does not use futher battery power.
That's the benefit of the "not-true-multitasking" of the iPhone.
fair enough, im quoting a general way of doing things, forgive me, but a task im enshrined with is testing phones in order to see whether or not they will be capable of sustaining on our network, im sure you can use a bit of common sense and go into the setting and access the manageable applications for yourself.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
I can kind of see where he is coming from, though it certainly could be handled better..

If I want to use my phone in 2G mode ( for whatever reason, even if it's to specifically limit data rates so that some other function can be fulfilled ), I should be able to without losing half of the functionality of the phone.

If I was MTN, I'd get him off my network and let him go and throw his toys and cause the competition headaches over minor issues, that's just me.

b1scu1t

I can kind of see where he is coming from, though it certainly could be handled better..

If I want to use my phone in 2G mode ( for whatever reason, even if it's to specifically limit data rates so that some other function can be fulfilled ), I should be able to without losing half of the functionality of the phone.

If I was MTN, I'd get him off my network and let him go and throw his toys and cause the competition headaches over minor issues, that's just me.
Yes this probably looks harsh, and it's very easy to assume this is the whole story, but a lot has happened behind the curtains in the last 5 months. A lot more than just the roughly painted picture here.

I've tried and exhausted every possible solution MTN had to offer over the last 5 months.

MTN wants to charge me roughly R10500 to cancel my contract and to be honest, I have lost more money due to this issue than the R10500 plus the R2316 my contract has cost me thus far.

Other than that, I don't know how far people expect another to stand back and take a beating until something like this happens to them.

Just use your imagination to think of what the consequences could possibly be if you missed that one little phone call, SMS or PCM???
Money I lost isn't the most important thing!
A lot happens in 5 months. Then a person can kinda see what I'm getting at.