• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

MTN Can I buy data bundle with top-up airtime? [answer: no]

CptNukeEm

Can't buy data bundle

For some reason, it tells me that I have insufficient airtime whenever I try to buy a data bundle. I have R350 airtime loaded and it gives me the "insufficient airtime" message even when I try to buy a R10 data bundle. The airtime that is on comes from the R100 that I get on my contract every month. Are you not able to use your contract airtime to buy data bundles? That would be really retarded if that's the case.

cpu.

Expert Member
The answer to the thread title in the title, is a new one for a forum. Kill any need to view and participate in threads. Efficient.

rapidblue

Expert Member
For some reason, it tells me that I have insufficient airtime whenever I try to buy a data bundle. I have R350 airtime loaded and it gives me the "insufficient airtime" message even when I try to buy a R10 data bundle. The airtime that is on comes from the R100 that I get on my contract every month. Are you not able to use your contract airtime to buy data bundles? That would be really retarded if that's the case.
Like cpu said - answer=no

It's a pity, but that's how MTN does it...

Charlie.

Also, be aware that the people in the MTN stores will tell you, emphatically, you *can* buy data with top-up airtime. They're lying through their teeth - an art at which MTN excels.

Reine_Viper

I bought a 75+25mb bundle this past weekend on MTN Top-Up 200 - did something change as I was never able to do so in the past?

Reine_Viper

*141*6#

Tried again now but it shows need to load airtime - although I have allocated airtime as per the "top-up" contract.
Guess I was lucky to have gotten away with it once?

May be the fact I loaded the 100mb from a little "dorpie" in Mpumalanga? Wouldn't think that would be relevant though - will see the next time I am out of JHB lol ;)

AirWolf

Honorary Master
*141*6#

Tried again now but it shows need to load airtime - although I have allocated airtime as per the "top-up" contract.
Guess I was lucky to have gotten away with it once?

May be the fact I loaded the 100mb from a little "dorpie" in Mpumalanga? Wouldn't think that would be relevant though - will see the next time I am out of JHB lol ;)
I've tried that every now and again on my contract, and it's never worked.

Liz25

It is really pathetic that I am not allowed to use my airtime the way I want to use it. I use a lot of data and so does mobile games, but I can't play most of these little games as they need to be connected to the internet and my phone doesn't allow me to connect to my computer so that I am able to leech the internet from my PC and thus making to update programs and such a true pain. I also do not see the point to load airtime when I already have airtime on my phone - If I could have converted my airtime (that I get from my contract) to internet data and that ran out then I would have loaded more airtime and convert that also to internet - Now I am super conservative with the data that I have and do not play games that requires a lot of internet data. As it stands now the contracts are not desirable and I pity the fact that I switced over to MTN