MTN Can't Provide ITC Number On New Phone

Pixual

Expert Member
We have had an MTN contract for a couple of years for our son. Last month we took an early device upgrade for a Huawei P30 Pro. Unfortunately this phone was stolen a couple of days ago. We are now trying to get an ITC number from MTN so that we can claim for the loss on our insurance. They are now telling us that there is no record of the phone on their system, this in spite of us showing them the invoice and empty box.

To say we have been given the run around by completely inept staff at their Pavilion "Superstore" would be a gross understatement. So right now we have no phone and no ITC number and apparently no way of getting one from MTN. Our insurance will not pay without the ITC number being supplied.

What can we do and who can we contact higher up the line to get this resolved?

Nivz

Please send me your contact details or email address.

I’ll try get someone to assist you.

Pixual

Expert Member
Well, no help forthcoming from anybody. Are there any reps in here who can help me escalate this issue?

Pixual

Expert Member
Please people of MyBB, I need urgent help here. We cannot get MTN to provide an ITC number on a stolen phone that they issued to us last month. We have made repeated visits and phone calls to their branches in Pavilion and Musgrave Centre and the staff there keep telling us that they can do nothing. This is absolutely absurd.

Is there an MTN representative on here who can help?

travcaine

Please people of MyBB, I need urgent help here. We cannot get MTN to provide an ITC number on a stolen phone that they issued to us last month. We have made repeated visits and phone calls to their branches in Pavilion and Musgrave Centre and the staff there keep telling us that they can do nothing. This is absolutely absurd.

Is there an MTN representative on here who can help?
Have you tried other online methods? Twitter, Hello Peter, Facebook etc?

Pixual

Expert Member
Have just tried Facebook and emailing. I need to escalate this to somebody who can explain what is going on. I suspect that there is a fraud or some other sinister stuff going on.

Pixual

Expert Member
I cannot believe the ineptitude of MTN staff in dealing with this issue. It is seriously incredible.

Not one department is prepared to help

Pixual

Expert Member
So nobody on the entire MyBB forum membership is able to help me to try and find a responsible, accountable MTN employee to get to the bottom of this saga?

MTN are saying they have no record of the phone that was issued ever being on our sim card. Yet we have a box with the number and supporting documentation to the contrary. Surely, surely somebody somewhere is able to sort this out?

All attempts to get answers via the MTN call centre are met with the same response: no IMEI number for that phone.

Facebook support will not deal with me, they ask my wife to call 135. How many times do they want us to do that before they will acknowledge that there is a SERIOUS PROBLEM with their records?

Emailing customer care results in the same idiotic responses.

Please, somebody help!

calypso

Expert Member
When you were issued the phone by MTN, it would have had an invoice which states the IMEI. If it was on a
Do you still have that?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So nobody on the entire MyBB forum membership is able to help me to try and find a responsible, accountable MTN employee to get to the bottom of this saga?

MTN are saying they have no record of the phone that was issued ever being on our sim card. Yet we have a box with the number and supporting documentation to the contrary. Surely, surely somebody somewhere is able to sort this out?

All attempts to get answers via the MTN call centre are met with the same response: no IMEI number for that phone.

Facebook support will not deal with me, they ask my wife to call 135. How many times do they want us to do that before they will acknowledge that there is a SERIOUS PROBLEM with their records?

Emailing customer care results in the same idiotic responses.

Please, somebody help!
Tsek!

Pixual

Expert Member
We help, but don't be passive aggressive with us if we can't
I'm sorry. If you send me a pdf manual of the expected forum etiquette for this sort of thing I will be certain to adhere to your standards next time I have a situation like this.

After much exasperation and wasted hours we now have an ITC number (sans explanation for the delay) from MTN. It really shouldn't be this difficult to get a simple thing done, especially after having sent them all the required information numerous times.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'm sorry. If you send me a pdf manual of the expected forum etiquette for this sort of thing I will be certain to adhere to your standards next time I have a situation like this.

After much exasperation and wasted hours we now have an ITC number (sans explanation for the delay) from MTN. It really shouldn't be this difficult to get a simple thing done, especially after having sent them all the required information numerous times.
They are not known for their great customer service unfortunately.

Pixual

Expert Member
This wasn't so much an issue of customer service as it was an issue of their systems failing and nobody within the organisation being prepared (or able) to assume accountability for that failure.

What annoyed me most of all was that they weren't listening to what we were telling them. All they could respond with was "there is no record of that IMEI on that sim card". When you hear that a half a dozen times and nobody bothers to explain how it is that you have all the proof you need to tell them otherwise, you tend to get raised blood pressure.

I really feel for the poor people in society who don't have the hutzpah to challenge these corporate monsters and have to walk away just accepting it when they are in the right and the company is in the wrong.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This wasn't so much an issue of customer service as it was an issue of their systems failing and nobody within the organisation being prepared (or able) to assume accountability for that failure.

What annoyed me most of all was that they weren't listening to what we were telling them. All they could respond with was "there is no record of that IMEI on that sim card". When you hear that a half a dozen times and nobody bothers to explain how it is that you have all the proof you need to tell them otherwise, you tend to get raised blood pressure.

I really feel for the poor people in society who don't have the hutzpah to challenge these corporate monsters and have to walk away just accepting it when they are in the right and the company is in the wrong.
That all sounds like poor customer service to me, but maybe I have misunderstood what customer service is all along...