MTN has a very non nonchalant attitude to fraud

isie

Honorary Master
If you wonder how to fraudster get away with so much on MTN , its because MTN doesn't try to do anything to stop it , even if its reported immediately.

I wanted to post this as it happened but i was furious so figured i would probably just jump to using obscenities.

Basically on Sunday 07 February 2021 I was notified of a credit check done on my name by MTN , I immediately called them to Find out whats going on , they confirmed a contract has been taken out in my name supposedly at Incredible connection Midlands mall in Pietermaritzburg (I am in Gauteng).
So I request this be stopped immediately and they advised there is nothing they can do because this was done at a store? :mad:

While on the call with them, I received an email with the contract digitally filled out with all my details, claiming acknowledgement by myself (even though I received no sms or any notification to confirm)

I at the same time (as the contract had a dealer code and the call center advised which dealer this was) call the supposed branch where that occurred , and they advised they are not set up to do contracts as yet.

So I say can i speak to the Fraud department , so I'm given a number 083 123 7867 - 2 options just go to a voice message that says cal 173 or 083 173 to report fraud (an outdated number since its 135 now) and the other one - goes to supposedly Deloitte consultants who advise this is not for MTN customers to report fraud.
I try posting on social media they ask me to email and affidavit - So I same day I signed an affidavit with the police (luckily they were not busy ) and sent this to MTN Social media and received a reference from the fraud department.
I called MTN back to say i have done the above now can they stop this contract - and again No they cant - seriously WTF.
So I think OK maybe they planning to catch this person?

The next day (Monday 08 Feb) I see a new sim on my APP So I called again to try and follow up (maybe on a weekday ill get better luck) and after being transferred from pillar to post , I got told again they will not stop this contract as this is now with the fraud department. and they will respond in 21 working days (which is only like the 1st of March)

Which means the person has now taken the sim and can spend what they want on it and I am sitting here expecting MTN to Honor that i will not be billed.
I set the spend limit on R0 (It was like R17500) and called MTN again after being transferred numerous times being told there is nothing they can do, I finally get through to some one who offered to help , she checks and it doesn't seem as if the Fraud department has even looked at my reference, she said she will try to stop the new Sim but then says oh she cant call up that new number as its on the new system (like again WTF) so she transferred me to some one else who managed (or at least claimed to) block that sim.

One week later I call to follow up - and get told its still in progress with fraud department. Which could mean it hasn't been allocated or they really investigating. What are they trying to do check if i managed to get from Gauteng to Pietermaritzburg in a few minutes ?

This is why Fraud is so Rampant, as even when advised they do not seem to treat it as urgent enough to stop it when it is happening.

On my side I contacted SA Fraud Prevention Service, but i doubt my ID has been cloned as clearly this was done internally at MTN as not bio metrics or security questions.

Last edited:

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member

MTN has a very non nonchalant attitude to fraud

Why would they go out of their way to try and fix this? They have the money in their account.

Kingskid

OP : Sorry to hear, that is not a nice experience and leaves you feeling as if you have no control over the situation, hope its resolved quickly. Not to derail your thread, quick question? which service did you use for notifications of credits checks,if you don't mind sharing please?

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
If you wonder how to fraudster get away with so much on MTN , its because MTN doesn't try to do anything to stop it , even if its reported immediately.

I wanted to post this as it happened but i was furious so figured i would probably just jump to using obscenities.

Basically on Sunday 07 February 2021 I was notified of a credit check done on my name by MTN , I immediately called them to Find out whats going on , they confirmed a contract has been taken out in my name supposedly at Incredible connection Midlands mall in Pietermaritzburg (I am in Gauteng).
So I request this be stopped immediately and they advised there is nothing they can do because this was done at a store? :mad:

While on the call with them, I received an email with the contract digitally filled out with all my details, claiming acknowledgement by myself (even though I received no sms or any notification to confirm)

I at the same time (as the contract had a dealer code and the call center advised which dealer this was) call the supposed branch where that occurred , and they advised they are not set up to do contracts as yet.

So I say can i speak to the Fraud department , so I'm given a number 083 123 7867 - 2 options just go to a voice message that says cal 173 or 083 173 to report fraud (an outdated number since its 135 now) and the other one - goes to supposedly Deloitte consultants who advise this is not for MTN customers to report fraud.
I try posting on social media they ask me to email and affidavit - So I same day I signed an affidavit with the police (luckily they were not busy ) and sent this to MTN Social media and received a reference from the fraud department.
I called MTN back to say i have done the above now can they stop this contract - and again No they cant - seriously WTF.

The next day (Monday 08 Feb) I see a new sim on my APP So I called again to try and follow up (maybe on a weekday ill get better luck) and after being transferred from pillar to post , I got told again they will not stop this contract as this is now with the fraud department. and they will respond in 21 working days (which is only like the 1st of March)

Which means the person has now taken the sim and can spend what they want on it and I am sitting here expecting MTN to Honor that i will not be billed.
I set the spend limit on R0 (It was like R17500) and called MTN again after being transferred numerous times being told there is nothing they can do, I finally get through to some one who offered to help , she checks and it doesn't seem as if the Fraud department has even looked at my reference, she said she will try to stop the new Sim but then says oh she cant call up that new number as its on the new system (like again WTF) so she transferred me to some one else who managed (or at least claimed to) block that sim.

One week later I call to follow up - and get told its still in progress with fraud department. Which could mean it hasn't been allocated or they really investigating. What are they trying to do check if i managed to get from Gauteng to Pietermaritzburg in a few minutes ?

This is why Fraud is so Rampant, as even when advised they do not seem to treat it as urgent enough to stop it when it is happening.

On my side I contacted SA Fraud Prevention Service, but i doubt my ID has been cloned as clearly this was done internally at MTN as not bio metrics or security questions.
I feel your pain. My last interaction with MTN was for something similar in 2006 when I cancelled all contracts and moved to Telkom. I was gatvol of their no can do attitude towards crime. I blacklisted a stolen phone that was still active on their network over a month later. I decided I wasn't going to be part of the problem in this country and cut ties with MTN after 6 years with them. Best decision ever.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
OP : Sorry to hear, that is not a nice experience and leaves you feeling as if you have no control over the situation, hope its resolved quickly. Not to derail your thread, quick question? which service did you use for notifications of credits checks,if you don't mind sharing please?
TransUnion.co.za should do it AFAIK.

isie

Honorary Master

The only reason I was notified is because it came from MTN (as i have a contract with them) I can only imagine how many people have this done without their knowledge.
I have seen Transunion has this feature

isie

Honorary Master
Why would they go out of their way to try and fix this? They have the money in their account.
They don't not yet anyway and I am not on Debit order -
They claim I will not be responsible (I actually recorded all the conversations ) as i reported the fraud.
So they will be taking a loss.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Thanks for posting @OP.
I've just signed up for the TransUnion annual monitoring package (true identity) for R499 (on special I believe) since I'm about to apply for a second bond and want to keep an eye on things.

Sayf777

Expert Member

Hey man have you contacted Jacquio?

She (or her department) will definitely escalate it and get it sorted since you've already went to SAPS to open a case.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
@OP also phone SAPS and tell them you need an order to get the CCTV from the MTN store for that day, might be worth a look, though it was likely an employee behind the counter or at another store completely. The store themselves may be victims.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
This stuff is scary.
You know what is scary, is the number of businesses that have RDP set up without any form of VPN. How much of this crap is being done by rogue employees from home. Just came across it recently yet again with a client.

When MTN themselves don't know how it's happening you can almost be sure it's their support staff.

Just look at the Supersonic thread I opened a year ago. Employees were fudging the system while on the phone with me. I could see other people's accounts without authentication. It was a bos of note.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Lol.... After signing up for Transunions service I just got like 23 emails to say my details are on the dark web... Each breach an individual email lmao.
I must admit, I got more info from Troy Hunt's website but oh well...

isie

Honorary Master
@OP also phone SAPS and tell them you need an order to get the CCTV from the MTN store for that day, might be worth a look, though it was likely an employee behind the counter or at another store completely. The store themselves may be victims.
That would be worth a look if the store actual had a PC to actually process MTN contracts. (incredible connection store)
According to conversations with 2 different managers and some staff they do not have any info on MTN contracts yet- they still in the process of getting set up - they basically said - you Telling me this dealer number belongs to us - we haven't even been allocated.

They tried their best to assist but were stumped.
Seems as if the issue is from someone at another branch or MTN head office themselves.
The actual people in the mall were helpful - MTN gave me the number they claimed was the store - it turned out to be mall security - the security person actual took my details and gave it to both the MTN stores in the mall who actually called back. They tried to find it on their side but couldn't then they got a hold of IC store and again they advised as above.