MTN Home WiFi Special

BCR

Expert Member
I couldn't even navigate to the deals you posted (month to month ?)

But managed to get to the 24 and 36 month ones somehow, and the one I tested got me further into the process.

I think if anyone's serious about purchasing any of them, best to go into a store & they do the processing.

Some of them seem worthwhile - better than Afrihost in some cases, but Afrihost's portal is excellent to deal with.

Reactions: Yuu

Jake45

Expert Member
I couldn't even navigate to the deals you posted (month to month ?)

But managed to get to the 24 and 36 month ones somehow, and the one I tested got me further into the process.

I think if anyone's serious about purchasing any of them, best to go into a store & they do the processing.

Some of them seem worthwhile - better than Afrihost in some cases, but Afrihost's portal is excellent to deal with.
Do you still need to purchase a new router to get the month to month option? The B618 that I got from Afrihost is presumably not acceptable. This is the main reason why I have not taken up any of these offers in the past. An additional R2000 for a router seems a bit ridiculous.

Reactions: BCR

BCR

Expert Member
Do you still need to purchase a new router to get the month to month option? The B618 that I got from Afrihost is presumably not acceptable. This is the main reason why I have not taken up any of these offers in the past. An additional R2000 for a router seems a bit ridiculous.

If you look at this link :

.... and slide the headings left to right or vice versa, then tap on them.

The one you're after in particular would be be :

"Which routers are compatible with MyMTN Home deals".

Seems the 618 is in fact covered, and appropriate partial IMEI nos. as well.

EDIT :
Also, slide to the end, under "Compatible Router" is this info :
Huawei.
B618S-22D
86263903 (part of the IMEI no)

Under another heading :

How do I check that I have the right router?

READ TIME: 27 SEC

To check the make and model of your router, look at the sticker at the back of your router or underneath it.
E.G. Make: Huawei; Model: B612-233
You can also use the first 8 digits of the router’s IMEI number to check its compatibility.

E.G. Make: Huawei; Model: B612-233; IMEI: 86344204

I still wouldn't trust MTN 100%, so would personally rather take the router in-store I wanted to use, and sign up there.

Last edited:

BCR

Expert Member
Also these 2 points @Jake45 :

What if I already have a router?

READ TIME: 23 SEC

Only certain types of routers work with MyMTN Home Wi-Fi plans, so make sure your router is compatible. Please also check that your existing router is not locked to a different network provider.

But if your router is compatible, you can get a MyMTN Home SIM-only contract.

Do you have a Month-to-Month option for these home Wi-Fi deals?

READ TIME: 10 SEC

Yes, you can choose the Month-to-Month price plan if you have a qualifying router and are in an F-LTE coverage area.

Jake45

Expert Member
@BCR: Many, many thanks for the very detailed explanation and the very informative post.

I do have an 86263903... IMEI (previously from Rain) so will definitely look into this option more carefully before I switch over to Telkom prepaid. I guess that you have the same router and are probably also deciding whether the extra 25% data is going to be worth it or not.

This might be of interest to anybody else who might be considering one of these month-to-month deals ...

Last edited:

BCR

Expert Member
@BCR: Many, many thanks for the very detailed explanation and the very informative post.

I do have an 86263903... IMEI (previously from Rain) so will definitely look into this option more carefully before I switch over to Telkom prepaid. I guess that you have the same router and are probably also deciding whether the extra 25% data is going to be worth it or not.

This might be of interest to anybody else who might be considering one of these month-to-month deals ...
Pleasure, @Jake45.

I've got 2x B525 65's so think I could go for it directly with MTN ; haven't checked against the IMEI no yet because although very worthwhile upping it to 50 + 50 GB (from Afrihost's 40 package, for the same price), with my monthly rollover I get 80 + 80 GB to use every month anyway.

That's something else to check with MTN if you go for this - what exactly can be rolled over each month ?

EDIT : packages above state "Valid for 30 days", so it seems no rollover, much like Telkom prepaid 250 GB etc for R229 and their 100 GB night data for around R150 I think it is.

MTN through Afri. roll over both Anytime & Night data.
Comparatively, MTN through Axxess roll over only the Anytime, so confirm what MTN do, directly.

I'm very happy with MTN through Afri., so am leaning more to staying and if ever need more data, would go to the next level - 90 + 90 GB @ R349 ; MTN direct - their next package up is 75 + 75 GB for R299 so the increments make sense, even though through different providers !

Primarily, I'm more at ease on month - month with Afri. than directly with MTN.

FURTHER EDIT :
I'd rather use their services at "arms length" after reading this :
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/index.php?posts/29250332

I'm also hopeful that GB amounts will be increased again through Afri. etc. in the not too distant future, with the recent spectrum changes.

Last edited:

Legacy

Suffice to say, when I get the chance at an alternative that is not MTN, I will be leaving MTN. They like to shout from the rooftops that they provide the best coverage & speed, but all I see is "blah blah blah"

I moved to MTN in January 2022, and even after 5 months, they still haven't fixed the issue that plagues our town. It would seem that this tower issue they have here, has been here for some time before I joined up, any and all requests to get it fixed are promptly ignored or you get a half baked made-up excuse, instead of them simply fixing the issue, damn this country has truly gone down the shitter. You can't even request your funds back for the time their service does not work, which is 50% of the time. Know what this is called? THEFT!