MTN launches ‘InternetOnTV’ at R999

RJMadCat

HAHAHAHA 75 mb, that equals to about... 5 min of online streaming? honestly i can see people being hit with disaster when they realize what 75 mb is worth streaming vids.

RJMadCat

i am trying but i cannot think of 1 Reason why i would want internet on my TV.... 1 tiny cable is all you need and your tv is connected to internet by using your laptop/desktop

TheTourist

This device is being marketed to the internet neophytes. So here's a crazy idea! (Speaking as someone with NO idea how the device functions, assumptions FTW)

Instead of saying "Here's the internet in all it's wonder go play" to your bewildered target audience. How about doing a (I can't believe I am about to type this) AOL content portal type effort?
You'll have content that is filtered removing the traps of the internet, if you've ever had to educate a grand patental unit about the internet you'll know what I'm reffering to.
Content providers could purchase premium advertising space, and with some smart market studies, target the right users.
Educational content for the youngsters, Access to Banking Sites, Goverment Sites (the few that haven't been hacked).
All of the traffic in this zone should be gratis, as if it is done right MTN could do this and turn a profit. While getting a warm fuzzy feeling of not completely rodgering their consumer.

Still offer the big bad scary internet (besides if you're using this forum you'd easily be able to google a guide to "root"-ing your Spectrum.. ahem InternetOnTV hardware), but at least give the consumer something to do with this piece of hardware before it becomes another piece of junk cluttering the lounge.

kdub

think its supposed to be targeted at those folk without a laptop/desktop.... @RJMadCat

Mbuzi

Expert Member
Damn targeted at the poor @R999? They must be smoking something! Besides I believe they should start investing in making schools in the country connected to the internet because the poor they want to connect don't even have any use of this internet unless social grant registrations go online. IMO

Valis

Expert Member
Shh...be careful bandying the word "TV" about, just now the guavamint will want extra licensing fees.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
For a product aimed at the poor people of SA who don't own a PC and only a TV this sure seems excessively expensive. Major fail. I don't see it taking post.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Apart from the obvious stupidness of this thing, has anyone actually tried reading anything off an old-skool CRT low-def TV? Unless the fonts are huge, you can't see anything, and your eyes will feel like they're about to explode. And it uses Opera mini?

FFS I'm sure you can easily find a phone that runs Opera Mini for under a grand.

RJMadCat

think its supposed to be targeted at those folk without a laptop/desktop.... @RJMadCat

maybe so, but it will work out cheaper to go buy a cheap arse 2nd hand PC with adsl, 75 mb is a complete and utter joke. its like ordering takeaways chips where small chips equals to 1 chip medium 2 chips and large 3 chips...1GB of data and just maybe! just maybe, normal people will be able to actually use it little more than 5 min a month.

g-d-zilla

That's NOT affordable! Perhaps it is for young YUPPIES and MTN employees, but none of those packages are affordable my Mr Man in the Street.