MTN launches ‘InternetOnTV’ at R999

carelvdm

This is SO ridiculous! Targeting previously disadvantaged communities with a barrier to entry of R1000 AND then the data is SO freakin' expensive???!! Huh?

ngwenyas

Copy cats! Why are they more expensive anyway? and why 3G because most disadvantaged people would not be based in areas where 3G is available? And do they think that people who have never used internet care about "7.2" or "5.4"? and what would the benefit of that? They finish their bundles faster so that they can reload more? lol ..

Raphael123

Expert Member
Well, sure you can go Prepiad SIM

Look this is just another "device" that you can surf the Web on. Perhaps MyBB can get a review unit and

1) tell us if it sucks or not.
2) how to "recharge" the SIM in the device (or do you need a phone)
3) tell us the quality of the "picture" on OLD TV's and newer 32", 40", 42" etc. (how does it "scale")
4) if it is Network locked to MTN (which as far as I am aware is ILLIGAL in SA). All GSM devices must take ANY GSM SIM

The "90-minute internet bundle " does sound interesting (streaming some sport "content" live....)

I am not saying data bundles don't suck, but PLEASE lets get a review of the device, rather than another 100 posts on why Network A's data is more expensive than Network B, etc etc etc.

+1

Mantis

A R999 web broswer

Don't go clicking on links thinking you're gonna download any files... [SARCASM] download to your TV's ram maybe? [/SARCASM]
Or will InterwebsOnTV Device 2.0 come with a USB port at R5999?

Cloud computing ... ? maaaaaayyybbbeeee but with those data costs???

daffy

Expert Member
That deal is aimed at the stupid, not the poor.

Or its aimed at the Government, hoping to get some sort of a tender to provide them to the poor at the government (read: tax payers) expense.

Aztech

There really ought to be laws against companies acting like such complete pricks with products like this.

If customers take MTN's advice and buy the 75 Meg data bundle they'll be paying the "bargain" rate of R650 per Gig. Even at low usage of this thing you're going to easily go through one Gig of data per month. Easily.

So MTN thinks low income homes should pay them R650 per month for internet access?

What utter douche bags!

vinodh

Expert Member
Maybe they should make TV on Internet. Nevermind. You won't be able to watch much internet based TV with only 75mb...

LabAnimal

Expert Member
Good Greef that is expensive!.... They would have to do WAY better than that for a basic service like that! Uncapped 4meg with Mweb is about R100 more!
I would think under R100 - not R999!!!!! *g*

Cost Conscious

Er, pass. The poorest of the poor will be made even poorer if they are duped into this or its Vodacom sister.

The hardware is over-priced and the data bundle offered is a joke by both companies.

Probably going to be as wildly popular as the Drifter.

brendonml

This might actually work in the consumers favour down the road. More people will finally realise that 75mg is bugger all and that they are being ripped with the current prices. Currently they can get away with it since most of the internet in SA is accessed via mobile browsers which are pretty data light. Streaming internet on TV, hmm, you'll need at least 300 gigs a month, at current prices, that aint gonna happen.

Aztech

Good Greef that is expensive!.... They would have to do WAY better than that for a basic service like that! Uncapped 4meg with Mweb is about R100 more!
I would think under R100 - not R999!!!!! *g*

It's not R999 per month. That's the purchase price. Not that you couldn't easily spend that much in a month on data with this stupid deal.

Ghosty

I should applaud MTN for this product, never mind it is still expensive. Vodacom set a standard with a bad product "GPRS", I didnt hear of the mouse from the vodacom deal. Now here is a deal with 3G, a mouse and we all know that MTN is affordable when it comes to rates. We must appreciate that the MTN deal raises a bar to which the next products will follow.

demon angel

Expert Member
Internet on TV?

We've been having it!:p

I really have had it for a while now via lan cable to my router with ASDL.

And i reckon its WAAAAAAAAY more affordable then the data cost's uniformed persons will rack up on this device.

Keeper

Honorary Master
25tubmw.jpg

=)

markings

Expert Member
R999 would probably be affordable in many poor households. Let's keep in mind that such households often find a way to get the money together to send the child to a good school.
The initial price is far less important than recurring costs, which we know will be massive in this case, and usability. Can this device print to a printer, can it save content for later perusal? Will it still be easily usable when TV goes digital and we need a set-top box or buy a new didgital TV?
Any no to these questions means that it is R999 down the drain.