MTN launches “world first” MusicTime streaming service

Pox

Expert Member
Don't have the energy to do the maths to see if it's cheaper to stream thru this app or just go with any of the many other streaming apps.

I'm going to assume that because it's MTN, the user of this will get screwed somewhere, be it with costs or adverts.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Don't have the energy to do the maths to see if it's cheaper to stream thru this app or just go with any of the many other streaming apps.

I'm going to assume that because it's MTN, the user of this will get screwed somewhere, be it with costs or adverts.

As per the article is costs R5 for 120 minutes.
so if you listen 2 hours daily it will cost you R150 a month

That's double the cost of a premium subscription where you can stream AND download music. (excluding data cost but wi-fi exists)

Trash

Wall

Sports Addict
Thought we had a time based music service already from iTunes, Google, Spotify etc? 24/7 365 days a year for R60 odd rand?

system32

Expert Member
It is a “fully inclusive time-based music streaming service” which offers users premium trending and locally relevant music through partnerships with music labels and providers.
Local didn't go down so well at SABC.
Is it curated by cloudy?
:eek::eek::eek:

newby_investor

Expert Member
I think this is a "world first" only in the sense that you can pay for a couple of hours of streaming instead of for the whole month (744 hours...).

The only way this could work out cheaper than Spotify is if you want for less than 30 hours per month, 6xR10 bundles (300 minutes = 5 hours). Bundling the data with the streaming is a nice idea, I kind of like that. If you stream the other ones without downloading your data would cost a little bit but in my experience the apps are pretty good at caching the stuff you listen to regularly so the actual data you use is quite minimal.

I wasn't terribly impressed by Simfy when I tried it. That would be a big turn-off for me from this service.

Oh, and MTN. That's the other problem...

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

That's double the cost of a premium subscription where you can stream AND download music. (excluding data cost but wi-fi exists)

Trash
Yes, but at the same time, it costs R10 for 5 hours. So 60 hours/month costs R60.

Vhoni

Trash
Not everyone has Wifi though and I am guessing this is aimed at those that don't in which case it is a good deal. Say you travel in a bus or a taxi to school or work everyday, the fact that this is Zero rated makes it a good buy.

Wall

Sports Addict
Not everyone has Wifi though and I am guessing this is aimed at those that don't in which case it is a good deal. Say you travel in a bus or a taxi to school or work everyday, the fact that this is Zero rated makes it a good buy.
300 minutes is how much data? That would indicate how much value is being added.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Or you can sit at Mcdonalds and download all the music you want with their free wi-fi

An option not available with MTN as it is streaming only.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
People are not taking the future into consideration. Free wi-fi is becoming common place. Airports, restaurants, some communities are getting free wi-fi. There are taxi's driving around with free wi-fi.

The data cost will become irrelevant.

Stevewarren

Exactly. Sometimes the disconnect on this forum from the majority of the people in this country is surprising.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
It's already free (data wise).
People are not taking the future into consideration. Free wi-fi is becoming common place. Airports, restaurants, some communities are getting free wi-fi. There are taxi's driving around with free wi-fi.

Dan C

Honorary Master

Take load shedding into consideration .... :X3: