MTN launches first LTE LAA network in South Africa – Gets 400Mbps

Thor

Honorary Master
Waits for Vodacon court case and cell C complaint and Telkom claiming they had it first.

system32

Expert Member
Just wait for
  • Vodacom
  • iBurst
  • Cell-C
  • Telkom
  • Neotel
  • WISP
to join MTN on the 5Ghz unregulated WiFi network - we won't be able to use 5Ghz even with LAA

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just wait for
  • Vodacom
  • iBurst
  • Cell-C
  • Telkom
  • Neotel
  • WISP
to join MTN on the 5Ghz unregulated WiFi network - we won't be able to use 5Ghz even with LAA
“This functionality is the key difference between LTE LAA and the previous LTE-Unlicensed mobile technology.”
?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
After the amazing contribution the WISPs have made using license-exempt frequencies, it's tragic to see players with SMP (significant market power) plough right in there and try to take it over. As fast as the LTE is, I really hope it doesn't succeed as it's a short term gain at the expense of competition and true innovation.

damian24

Just wait for
  • Vodacom
  • iBurst
  • Cell-C
  • Telkom
  • Neotel
  • WISP
Ditto, 2.4Ghz wireless is already broken and now the commercial operators want to kill capacity on 5Ghz with "other" technologies.

VoWiFi already achieves ubiquitous coverage in building and is able to transfer calls seamlessly between the "in building" WiFi and the external LTE network if allowed by the operators.

The WiFi alliance (and Google funnily enough) is not happy about this since it's likely to break things badly at scale, but the almighty mobile data $ and meek data Rand will override logic I'm sure...

I'm hopeful they'll eventually abandon this, but I'm probably wrong.

D

sajunky

Honorary Master
After the amazing contribution the WISPs have made using license-exempt frequencies, it's tragic to see players with SMP (significant market power) plough right in there and try to take it over. As fast as the LTE is, I really hope it doesn't succeed as it's a short term gain at the expense of competition and true innovation.
^This.

Those who already have licenced spectrum should be prevented by law from using free resources.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Waits for Vodacon court case and cell C complaint and Telkom claiming they had it first.
They all use the same vendors so it's easy to demo. The hard part is the business case and true commercial deployment. Thankfully this may delay onset for a a while

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
^This.

Those who already have licenced spectrum should be prevented by law from using free resources.
Sorry but what crack are you smoking..

The legal nightmare you are proposing is just mind boggling.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Sorry but what crack are you smoking..

The legal nightmare you are proposing is just mind boggling.
You missed a point. I do not propose barring licenced spectrum owners from using unlicenced spectrum.

I do propose barring technologies which are approved to use for the licenced spectrum from consuming unlicenced spectrum.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You missed a point. I do not propose barring licenced spectrum owners from using unlicenced spectrum.

I do propose barring technologies which are approved to use for the licenced spectrum from consuming unlicenced spectrum.
Ummm, simple question, why?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ummm, simple question, why?
Because unlicenced spectrum is for different purpose and is using different power density. Large density transmission from commercial cellular deployement will erradicate all non-commercial or free services. Spectrum planning department would explain more. If cellular companies will continue grabbing unlicenced spectrum, a radical solutions will have to come to stop it.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Because unlicenced spectrum is for different purpose and is using different power density. Large density transmission from commercial cellular deployement will erradicate all non-commercial or free services. Spectrum planning department would explain more. If cellular companies will continue grabbing unlicenced spectrum, a radical solutions will have to come to stop it.
Those issues are dealt with in the actual standards themselves, and are also being tested before being rolled out large scale as well.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Those issues are dealt with in the actual standards themselves, and are also being tested before being rolled out large scale as well.
Nope. Chanel aggregation is a part of the existing LTE-A standard, so it doesn't bring any technological challenges. It is just a constant lobbying for more spectrum.

They were successful when LTE was introduced in hurry. They pushed it so fast that they forgotten about integrating voice services! They were successful somehow, but it didn't bring celular services prices down as expected. People realised mistake and it is not going so easy this time.

Last edited: