MTN launches new fixed-LTE deals – Price, details

Thor

Honorary Master
Seems RAIN is shaking up the space.

Telkom and now MTN, what will Cell C and Vodacom introduce?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
15GB Anytime + 15GB Night Express R369
Mmmmmm .....OK.

VODAFONE R218H LTE + TOP DOG VOUCHER @ R349 Reduced Sub PM on 20GB Data Price plan Top up

And the above comes with 20GIG Night Owl also.

EDIT: Ah wait .... I forgot that the routers that comes with fixed is the big high end routers .... so that is why it is more expensive on the fixed links. My bad.

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
Still no LTE :( In fact all surrounding towns got LTE, and gave us a wide birth as if they knew their numba 1 complainer lives there :(

ld13

Honorary Master
15GB Anytime + 15GB Night Express @ R369 + 100gb topup @R999
= R1368 for 115GB

VS

110GB Anytime + 110GB Night Express R1469

DXL

Expert Member
Its Not Rain at ALL.............

Seems RAIN is shaking up the space.

Telkom and now MTN, what will Cell C and Vodacom introduce?
Its Not Rain at ALL.............Telkom is making the difference.
Telkom currently offers the best Capped Bundles.

Entry Level should be 20 Gig + 20 Gig - R199

Pricing is still ridiculously high even with 5 LTE operators in the Country.

Rumour Mill has it that Liquid Telecom is shutting down the CDMA network sometime next year and replacing it with LTE.

Hopefully they offer good packages.

ICASA needs to look into why Prepaid Data Tariffs are so High compared to Post Paid.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
ICASA needs to look into why Prepaid Data Tariffs are so High compared to Post Paid.
ICASA and Gov need to issue more Spectrum like 5 years ago. It makes building networks extremely expensive when you have to re-use the same ****ty 5Mhz band all over.

Thor

Honorary Master
ICASA and Gov need to issue more Spectrum like 5 years ago. It makes building networks extremely expensive when you have to re-use the same ****ty 5Mhz band all over.
BUT in my opinion, there is zero guarantee that releasing more spectrum will result in cheaper prices. I feel if the government gives spectrum then they need to regulate the price otherwise you make a too big to fail scenario.

DXL

Expert Member
Agreed !

BUT in my opinion, there is zero guarantee that releasing more spectrum will result in cheaper prices. I feel if the government gives spectrum then they need to regulate the price otherwise you make a too big to fail scenario.
You are 100% correct. More Spectrum will not result in Lower Prices.

The operators will come up with some other excuse then.

The operators think we all are like people in government , they can just spew some garbage out and we will believe it.

:( SAD for our Country

dotcat

adrianx

Expert Member
I wonder, on the map above, why there is so much Fixed LTE coverage over water, especially at Oslo Beach?

dotcat

So I'm pretty sure they use software to calc coverage. Something similar to https://link.ubnt.com/

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.11.31.png

That tower in Oslo Beach should provide coverage out to sea until the curvature of the earth drops LOS.